Advent? KLH? AR? BA?

Guest Jeff M

Guest Jeff M

Hi all, I've been lurking for a couple of months and learned a lot--thanks to everyone here. Great site. I'm looking to continue collecting LP's, which I used to do but gave up after my Dynaco/AR/Altec setup mysteriously disappeared in a divorce many years back.

So I have a Dual turntable, a nice Yamaha receiver (100 wpc), but I'm stumped on speakers. I thought I wanted KLH sixes, but I don't like the epoxy/nonremoveable grille situation. AR's? I liked the sound of the 4x's many years back, they're on the short list. Advent's? Don't know a lot about 'em, but I have faith in the Kloss design. Friend of mine had Pioneer CS-99's years ago, I liked them too, but I think I want to go acoustic suspension.

Sooooo, kindly readers, what would you do if you were me? Hold out for AR 3a's? Go with Advents, and perhaps pay less? KLH's? Please unconfuse me!

Thanks...

IMHO the only vintage speakers that sound better than two pairs of Large Advents stacked are Dahlquist DQ10s and AR LSTs, In that order.

Myself I have two pairs of Large Advents stacked and a pair of Advent/1s driven currently by a Marantz 2240B. I have refoamed all the woofers myself and replaced the crossover capacitors. They just don't make speakers that sound like that anymore.

Guest speaker freak

I have owned both khl& ar speakers in the past and i enjoyed both.Now i own a pair of large Advents which i am really enjoying.Just a very warm sounding speaker.I also own a pair of paradigm speakers that are sitting in the corner because i enjoy these so much.

Jeff,

Since this looks to be your first post, let me say welcome and we hope to see you around the forum.

Now as for speakers I can offer my opinion on what I like and others will be able to offer more technical aspects of a choice and their likes. First I like to look at my room and decide where and what size of speaker I can work with. I'll run through some of my setups and why I picked them.

Master bedroom, 2 pairs of AR-4x's. Size wise they work great for the locations I had to work with. One pair on the bedside tables and the other pair on the ledge over the wardrobe. Driven by a Fisher 800C tube amp they sound very warm. While not having the bass of say a 3a they have a high WAF factor and I really like them.

The wife has a Yammie R-9 in her home office running a AR2ax/4x stack. I actually set it up to test out a third pair of 4x's I had picked up and the wife liked the sound so much there they stay.

A Large Advent stack sits in the family room hooked up to a Pioneer SX-980. I love to listen to the local jazz station and this setup has great bass.

Dining room is a KLH 23 stack and a Pioneer SX-828. While not as much bass as some would like I think they are pretty sharp sounding.

The stack work well in the 12x15 rooms for me. The living room secondary system uses my 3a's and Dynaco st-70 setup. Lots of bass and fills the room even with the vaulted ceilings. But don't always have time to sit there and enjoy.

My home office is running a Marantz separates setup and I am currently switching between a pair of Allison Sevens and Advent Prodigy Towers. Their compact floor size works well in the small space and there is plenty of bass for the area.

As you can see I like a variety. Most of the speakers ran anywhere from $30-$100 except for the 3a's. If you live near some of the members they may be nice enough to let you check out their setups. While we can all offer ideas it really comes down to size, what we like to listen to and most of all, BUDGET. While LST's would be nice they are way out of my range (so are DQ-10's). I think for $100 or so you could do all right with 4x's or 2ax's or even a pair of Dyncao A-25's. If you give us a room size where you are setting up and what kinds of music you like to listen to and a budget, our more technical and better audio educated (by experience) members may be able to help you narrow down to a list of what MAY work best for you. Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing what other have to say, alway trying to learn more myself.

Again welcome and good luck on the search

James

ps What Yammie receiver are you using? Love Yammie and my main system is mostly Yammie separates.

>Hi all, I've been lurking for a couple of months and learned

>a lot--thanks to everyone here. Great site. I'm looking to

>continue collecting LP's, which I used to do but gave up after

>my Dynaco/AR/Altec setup mysteriously disappeared in a divorce

>many years back.

>

>So I have a Dual turntable, a nice Yamaha receiver (100 wpc),

>but I'm stumped on speakers. I thought I wanted KLH sixes,

>but I don't like the epoxy/nonremoveable grille situation.

Not all 6's were made as you described. Later production models were produced more conventionally (e.g. non-epoxied). Perhaps you could find a pair of these. It may be worth your while.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest Jeff M

Thanks for in info folks. I have a CR-2020 which at the present time are pushing (!) Bose 201's which I brought in from the garage just for the time being until I get The Real Speakers. My living room is about 18' X 12', pine floors, large braided rug. My music interests are all over the place, including BS&T, Chicago, and other "classic" rock, jazz (B3), country (more traditional, though), "smooth" jazz (Dave Grusin et al), etc.

I think I"m leaning to Large Advents...

• 2 months later...
Guest ParatoOptimal

>IMHO the only vintage speakers that sound better than two

>pairs of Large Advents stacked are Dahlquist DQ10s and AR

>LSTs, In that order.

>

>Myself I have two pairs of Large Advents stacked and a pair

>of Advent/1s driven currently by a Marantz 2240B. I have

>refoamed all the woofers myself and replaced the crossover

>capacitors. They just don't make speakers that sound like that

>anymore.

>

>

>

justw,

I have DQ10's. They're GREAT! I got them 2nd hand long ago and one woofer blew within 30-days. I haven't installed any of the crossover or tweeter board updates. I've increased the fuses far above what's recommended but have constantly blown them. I'm using a Haffler 100W amp I built from a kit. Any suggestions?

Thanks

>Yup, I'd bypass the messin' around and just do stacked

>Advents. At least two on a side. :^)

>

>Doug

IF you have the room and it doesn't run afoul of your significant other ;-)

>justw,

>I have DQ10's. They're GREAT! I got them 2nd hand long ago

>and one woofer blew within 30-days. I haven't installed any

>of the crossover or tweeter board updates. I've increased the

>fuses far above what's recommended but have constantly blown

>them. I'm using a Haffler 100W amp I built from a kit. Any

>suggestions?

>

>Thanks

Assuming the amp is okay I'd say you may be overdriving them. Those are the same woofers used in the Large Advents. In any case you may want to check the Dahlquist forum on this site.

>

>IF you have the room and it doesn't run afoul of your

>significant other ;-)

Of course, stacked Advents don't take up any more space horizontally than a single pair. Now, if I only had a 10' ceiling :^)

The significant other deal doesn't figure in for me right now - yay!

It has in the past though so I know all about the WAF :^)

Doug

Guest russwollman

Smaller Advents are wonderful speakers, too. From that small box can come a prodigious quantity of very good sound, especially with new crossover components and the later model tweeter. I redid a pair that way—and covered the vinyl exterior with white birch. Later I built some simple stands of birch plywood. The sound is great and the look is sweet, light, and clean. I can put up some photos later on. They're a very nice pair. And SA's have a 4-ohm impedance, which is where many modern amps deliver their greatest power. Other members may have a more knowledgeable take on that matter than I can offer, though.

What a double Advent system delivers, though, is tough to beat.

So have a setup with each. It's likely you don't require concert hall sound volumes in every listening room.

Archived