New Advent Help

Guest superzorro

Guest superzorro

Hello, I have a pair of New Advent Loudspeakers that I inherited from my father however I live in Colombia, South America (very far away!) and almost no one knows about this speakers and there are limited parts suppliers, and one of the crossovers its broken so Im looking for the crossover diagram so I can look for the parts and take this great speakers for services.

I hope someone can help me!

Alexander

>Hello, I have a pair of New Advent Loudspeakers that I

>inherited from my father however I live in Colombia, South

>America (very far away!) and almost no one knows about this

>speakers and there are limited parts suppliers, and one of the

>crossovers its broken so Im looking for the crossover diagram

>so I can look for the parts and take this great speakers for

>services.

>

>I hope someone can help me!

>

>Alexander

I don't have a diagram to share. However, if you can read a diagram, you can also draw one perhaps? Have you looked at the xovers yet? They are relatively simple. You're most likely faulty part is the electrolytic capacitor/s.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest Namazu

Alexander,

The low-pass section of the crossover is a 0.28mh coil in series with the woofer. This coil is bypassed when the tweeter level switch is in the increase position.

The High-pass section is a 14uf capacitor in series with the tweeter. There are 2 resistors used to reduce the HF output. In the increase position power goes directly to the capacitor and then to tweeter. In the normal position the 1-ohm resistor is in series with the capacitor and tweeter to slightly lower the volume. In the decrease position both the 2-ohm, and 1-ohm resistors are in series giving a total of 3 ohms attenuation. (If I remember correctly, someone please jump in here if I have this mixed up)

We will be in Bogota from August 9th to Aug 26th. If you are nearby and you know what parts you need by then, let me know what they are and maybe I could bring them for you. No sera gratis. Sera barrato.

You have a fine pair of Classic HiFi Speakers that are also quite exotic in your part of the world. Absolutely worth the effort to have them in working order.

Bueno Suerte (Good Luck)

Namazu

Hi Namazu, Alexander, and Carl,

I don't know what the values are in the New Advent are either because I only have the original masonite Advents (triple stacks) but a value of .28 mH in series with the woofer seems way low. I know the one in the original Advents is 1.5 mH. Could it be 2.8 mH?

The other values you gave for the cap and resistors seem resonable.

Doug

Guest superzorro

Thank you all for your prompt answers, I´ve been all this weekend trying to figure out whats wrong with the speakers.

In one there´s almost no sound coming out of the tweeter, however I´ve tried the tweeter in the other speaker and sounds ok! so I´m taking a closer look to the crossover with a friend (that knows a lot mor than me about electronics) to figure out what´s broken so I can post the findings.

Namazu thank you very much for the offer, I hope I can work out the damage and I would contact you.

Alexander

PS This week I will upload the manual and the advertisement of this speakers that my dad also gave me, I´ve even have the receipt!

Guest Namazu

>Hi Namazu, Alexander, and Carl,

.........a value of .28 mH in series with the woofer seems

>way low. I know the one in the original Advents is 1.5 mH.

>Could it be 2.8 mH?

>

>The other values you gave for the cap and resistors seem

>resonable.

>

>Doug

Yes I know, it does seem low but that is what the reading is. If anyone else could substantiate that or offer a differant result I would be interested to see what it is. As I recall, the inductance of the woofer AND the coil add up to a more reasonable value when taken in series.

Out of curiosity, what was the price of a pair of new Advents in Pesos back in the day ? In U.S.D. they cost ~$300.00 a pair. How much in Colombian Pesos?

Namazu

Guest superzorro

Namazu, I dont even think that one could get a pair of this speakers in Colombia in that or in this time, I know just 2 people who own it and they bought them in the US, the ones I own were boughted by my father when he was studying in the US.

I measure .3 mH, .36 ohm, close to your value:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...g_id=1269&page=

Pete B.

>Alexander,

>

> The low-pass section of the crossover is a 0.28mh coil in

>series with the woofer. This coil is bypassed when the tweeter

>level switch is in the increase position.

>

> The High-pass section is a 14uf capacitor in series with the

>tweeter. There are 2 resistors used to reduce the HF output.

>In the increase position power goes directly to the capacitor

>and then to tweeter. In the normal position the 1-ohm resistor

>is in series with the capacitor and tweeter to slightly lower

>the volume. In the decrease position both the 2-ohm, and 1-ohm

>resistors are in series giving a total of 3 ohms attenuation.

>(If I remember correctly, someone please jump in here if I

>have this mixed up)

>

> We will be in Bogota from August 9th to Aug 26th. If you

>are nearby and you know what parts you need by then, let me

>know what they are and maybe I could bring them for you. No

>sera gratis. Sera barrato.

>

> You have a fine pair of Classic HiFi Speakers that are also

>quite exotic in your part of the world. Absolutely worth the

>effort to have them in working order.

>

> Bueno Suerte (Good Luck)

>

> Namazu

I stand corrected.

Do you guys think that the inductor value was lowered this much to let the woofer roll off more on its own rather than being "forced" by the higher value of the original Advent?

Doug

Archived