Original vs Improved tweeters

justw

In comparing my Large Advents with the original tweeter, on masonite forward of the mounting, to my newer Large Advents, with the tweeter with the black surround mounted flush on the baffle, I hear a difference. With the originals in Normal and the others on Normal the newer tweeters sound brighter and louder. Is there that much difference between the two versions of this tweeter? Are the original tweeters a little dull? Even allowing for the crossover differences, one normal one extended, the originals don't sound as loud or seem to be as extended as the later ones. Are there any specs on these tweeters available?

~w

I've actually only had the "masonite forward" tweeters as you put it. What I can compare with, are the set I have that I re-foamed and put in the replacement black, poly domed tweeters. They do seem brighter than the originals and are supposed to profit more with a newer poly cap in the crossover you can buy. Thirty yrs in the wanting, I finally set up a fused, 'double Advent system'. Now the differences in the tweeters (old vs new) seemed to have faded into the wall of sound. I was going to replace the other old set with the newer poly domes and run the new poly cap in all of the crossovers. Now, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. Once you get the woofers 'sealed' properly, you hate to take them out again. Advent used a window-glazing product called mortite, which is still out there, but dries up in the long term. I used a black poly product that's sold for auto glass and comes in 1/4" rope style caulk.

Sorry I can't be more help to your original question...

K

>In comparing my Large Advents with the original tweeter, on

>masonite forward of the mounting, to my newer Large Advents,

>with the tweeter with the black surround mounted flush on the

>baffle, I hear a difference. With the originals in Normal and

>the others on Normal the newer tweeters sound brighter and

>louder. Is there that much difference between the two versions

>of this tweeter? Are the original tweeters a little dull? Even

>allowing for the crossover differences, one normal one

>extended, the originals don't sound as loud or seem to be as

>extended as the later ones. Are there any specs on these

>tweeters available?

>

>~w

I need to clarify that these are both Large Advents. Both tweeters are the orange "fried egg" type. One has the cone glued to masonite and elevated above the baffle and the other is glued to the metal face and mounted flush with the baffle. NOT the Poly dome tweeters from the 80's.

~w

The flush mounted tweeters have been said to be brighter. I know Advent used ferro fluid in the later ones and, I think, heavier windings. I haven't heard the later ones but have read posts by others on other forums that indicate thus.

That being said, I don't think the originals sound dull at all. Maybe a bit muted at the very top (ride cymbals and such) but not radically so.

Doug

"The flush mounted tweeters have been said to be brighter. I know Advent used ferro fluid in the later ones and, I think, heavier windings. I haven't heard the later ones but have read posts by others on other forums that indicate thus.

That being said, I don't think the originals sound dull at all. Maybe a bit muted at the very top (ride cymbals and such) but not radically so."

Yes, I read that in their sales lit...that they were going to a ferro fluid and stronger coils. After Phase Linear and other et all came out, folks were blowing out Advents left & right. And their literature was ambiguous mentioning that they (the oiginal Advents), could take 120watts RMS per channel...however they neglected to say "steady state".

Until recently on ebay, I had never seen a newer Advent manufactured tweeter set. So now I know what they look like...

• 2 months later...
Guest Namazu

A quote from the old Advent brochure of 1977 goes like this.

"The New Advent Loudspeaker, then, can radiate significantly more energy at 10,000 Hz than our original design-more than enough to reveal the cleaner high-frequency output on records."

I remember buying my pair in 1977 and being warned by the salesman not to combine them with any Pickering cartridge because Pickerings have a 10Khz peak, as do the Advents. Added together they would,"Kill ya." Did I listen to him? Of course NOT. And I am still here, so are the Advents, and so is the Pickering although not on active duty right now. The highs were sweet indeed.

With no empirical knowledge of the original tweeters I cannot offer a comparison of the sound quality, but having fooled with equalizers, test recordings, tone generators, db meters, and stuff for 29 years with these same tweeters I can tell you that they do have a 10Khz peak of appx~3db. NOT enough to kill you.

IMHO it would probably be no big deal for someone who knows what they are doing to design a notch filter to flatten that peak out if need be?

Archived