Refoaming The Smaller Advent Loudspeaker

Guest eldave20

Guest eldave20

Does anyone know of a place that will use the correct foam surround for this unusual woofer? I'm told the correct surround is no longer made, and I'm worried that a substitute will restrict the excursion of the woofer and hamper its bass response. The 'roll' part on the original surrounds was very large, bigger than the roll on the surround for The Large Advent Loudspeaker woofers. Yet when I ordered surrounds for my smaller Advents (from Simply Speakers) I was sent the surrounds for the large Advents, and told that's what they use. Is my concern about this reasonable? Will I get my smaller Advents back to factory spec, even if I use a surround that has a smaller rolled area that the original surrounds had? It seems like that would restrict movement when the cone is trying to reach its maximum excursion. I'm attaching a jpg from the Advent brochure of both woofers.

930.txt

Guest eldave20

Funny you should mention them (and their lack of communication skills). They were the first place I tried. I inquired about their custom surround, but they never responsded to my email so I figured they were just some bozo in his living room who would probably take my money and my woofers and I'd never hear from him again. My question to them was "Do you sell the custom surrounds as a do-it-yourself kit, or do I have to send the woofers in to you to have them done?" Since they didn't respond, maybe you can tell me. Any idea?

Thanks for offering up a suggestion, by the way.

You can try Orange County Speaker Repair.

http://www.speakerrepair.com

714-554-8592

I bought some 9" Advent surrounds about a year ago (OCSR pn 11-018). I used them for a customer who brought me the weird looking woofers with the black, pulpy looking dust caps. I used the OCSR surrounds on them. They measure 8 3/4 inch od and 6 1/2 inch id. The roll measures about 5/8 inch wide. Those dust caps are almost impossible to remove in order to shim the VC.

I've got 4 left and am saving them for my refoaming customers.

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest studio by the pond

This is my first post regarding Advent loudspeakers. I bought

a pair of the "Advent smaller loudpeaker" at a yard sale

several years ago for $15.00. Both woofers needed new

surrounds. I took the woofers to "BenchCraft Electronics"

in Millersville, TN and Woody, the owner installed the

new surrounds and charge me $35 for both woofers.

I couldn't be happier with these two speaker systems. The

low end response is incredible and very extended. I'm

attaching a picture of one woofer so you can see Woody's

work.

Recently I had him put new surrounds on a pair of JBL

4411 woofers and he charged $48 for the pair.

Email me for details on reaching Woody. I've used him for

over 10 years and he's good !

leehazen@aol.com

Lee

post-101566-1138208876.jpg

Guest eldave20

Thanks again for all the help, everyone! The picture posted by Lee brings up another question I have. I see the outer edge of the foam surround was glued to the top of fiber ring. On mine, the surrounds were glued directly to the metal basket, and the fiber rings were glued on top of the foam surround edge. I think mine were stock, and have never been refoamed (although I'm not 100% sure of this). I have a pdf file of an old Advent Brochure that shows the surrounds glued in the same way as it is in Lee's picture (on top of the fiber ring). Does anyone know if Advent did this both ways? Does it make a difference in performance?

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest russwollman

Layne Audio is reputable and honest and knowledgeable, and, in fact, has all the right stuff. Only the communication is difficult because Steve spends a lot of time on the phone and emails don't get through his system, as you might note on the website.

If you can get through, he's completely trustworthy.

Guest paulr189

Parts Express has a foam surround that fits (Cat #260-950). I don't know if it's got just the right stiffness, etc., but it is fairly light, sounds OK and does not seem to restrict motion. The SA woofer is a terrific device. Advent literature actually says it was more expensive to produce than the LA woofer. Have fun with it.

Archived