Advent specs

Guest molecules

Guest molecules

I have had my Advents since 1975 but I don't recall ever seeing the frequency response or power handling capabilites published for the original Advents. Does anybody know where I could find it ? I see there was an earlier Stereophile review of them, but not available at their site. Has anybody ever seen it or know where to get a copy ?

Guest SpruceMoose

i have a set of new large advents, since 1977. i dont recall a freq spec, but they were rated at 15 watt minimum, no upper limit on musical program material in home use. advent recommended fusing them with a 3AG glass fuse, but i have never done that. i have since built my advents into a triple set of doubles across the front of the living room for the HT setup. WOW! ;) theres a thread on here about that, with pics.

sm.

Guest molecules

I can bet the bass is awesome ! I once had a double set, but when the surrounds of one pair went south, I thought that the woofers had blown and I gave them away ! Fool.

I saw an earlier post mentioned a resonant frequency of 42 Hz, but this seems high, as there is still plenty of energy down into the 20's. I know acoustic suspension speakers roll off slower than the ubiquitous ported enclosures, but....

With a test CD,the original Advents had some output at 25 and the New Advents were still moving like crazy at 20 Hz. I couldn't hear it(except for some low level buzzing) but I could sure feel it. I don't think there was much doubling or they would have made some noise !

Maybe someone actually has some measurements ?

Guest rickcee

Hi did you see the Advent sales brochure ( maybe '71 - 72 ?) that's someplace on this site, or was anyway - about 10 pgs, general mumble jumble . Also has a few quotes from various mag. tests . . . Rick

Guest adventophile

I have an original pair I got in 1970 and they were rated for 125 watts at that time but I would put the tweeters on normal if you are going to push allot of higfrequency stuff through them.

The bottom end is 32 hz and they will go down there if you have the source. I have double advents ;picked up a pair on ebay to match the ones I have: all from the 70's and have a 200 watt per channel amp on them. Impediance is 4 ohms in parallel. I also refoamed them myself the correct way as there is a reason the buldge of the foam goes into the speaker just as there is for the outside of the foam being mtg to the inside of the masonite ring. The all steel woofer has the surrond mtg with the buldge facing out as it was designed for the cone size and long throw of the woofer.

The early ones are 12 inch speaker frames with the masonite plate to fit the 10 inch woofer. Henry needed a long throw voice coil for the deep bass and no 10 inch frame at that time would work, so he used a 12 inch frame.

I do not have to use much of the amps power as the 4 speakers will push 100 db at 4 feet at 25 hz. This is using a test cd where the guy anounces each frequency. AT that level the windows and most of the non bolted down stuff is vibrating.

I am a classic organ buff and I can listen at live volume any time I want. dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived