AR 14 - anyone have any experiences with these?

from elsewhere on this site:

"AR-14 used same cabinet as AR-12/11/10pi but was a 2 way system with a 10" woofer and a 1" tweeter. Power handling: 100 watts."

Definitely worth restoring.

Stands placing them 12 to 18 inches above the floor work well, with speakers up against the wall, but away for the corners. "away" depends on room size.

Recommended amplifiers: Adcom 535, 535 II, 5300, 545, 545 II or 5400. I would lean towards the 545 or 545 II.

Classic AR's are not especially friendly to amplifiers, and Adcoms seem to work well with them. There are other amplifiers that are better, and more expensive, but price/performance, the Adcoms are hard to beat. Look on ebay.

Nigel

I am new to hi-fi and I would just like someone to help me figure out if these are worth restoring, if they require stands, what power amp do these match well, etc.

Thanks a lot.

Nigel:

Thanks for your response. I believe that the switches found at the back of the speaker are attenuator switches. Where do I set them? I notice you could set the switch to either the red or black part.

Where can I get the complete parts such as woofer, tweeters, resistors, capacitors, foam, etc?

Hi;

See the links section of this web site, Layne Audio, for all sorts of parts.

Many people seem to be by-passeing the pots on classic AR speakers. They should be in whatever position sounds best to you.

Nigel

At present the speaker cable is connected to the terminals directly without the benefit of a plug. Is there a special connector I can use because it seems awfully small and regular banana plugs wont fit.

Hi;

The direct wire connection is better than using a plug because of fewer interfaces in the signal path.

Each connection is kinda like light going through a window, no window is perfectly clean. The fewer there, the better.

Nigel

Thanks for your helpful responses. What pre-amps would mate well with AR 14 and Hafler DH-200 power amp? Currently using a HK 3250 receiver which I intend to replace. Is it ok to use fairly new pre-amps such as Musical Fidelity X-PRE or should I look for classic tube pre-amps?

Thanks again.

If you can't here the difference, don't change, unless there are features you want in the new unit.

I have an Onkyo TX-8500 receiver (ca.1977) driving my AR9 speakers, and another at a friends house driving AR91.5 speakers. They work well.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived