Shallow cabinet design

I have a set of Advent 3002s and am I novice in the vintage NE speaker realm (I'm enjoying learning). My question is probably more general than directed at Advents, but I became curious after acquiring the Advents. What was the purpose of the shallow cabinet design, as opposed the deeper design? Why limit the bass extension? The 3002s (what vintage are they?) seem identical to the CSW model six. Thanks for looking.

• 2 months later...

I own a few classic AR models (4x and AR-3), a pair of beautiful Advent 25th Anniversay Edition Loudspeakers (that need a little cleaning and polishing) and a pair of 1992 Cambridge SoundWorks first edition Model Six speakers (with the light gray cloth instead of the black they use today).

I can say that the CSW Model Six units are actually an amazing pair of speakers that are both crisp and accurate and full - especially for the money! In almost every way they honor the style, design, and quality in reproduced sound that make Henry Kloss designs classics! I, however think they have an "in between" sound of the smaller Advent Loudspeakers (my sister has a pair) and the larger Advents then anything else. I also noticed that the CSW do not have great cabinet depth, yet they sound great never the less, and have always wondered why.

Archived