Sound Quality of Large Advents

I just bought a set of Large Advents 2 weeks ago. I've had them refoamed. These have the masonite ring around the woofer and the original tweeters. I've noticed that these speakers have tons of bass, almost "boomy" sounding IMO. The "top end" also sounds slight compressed when play big band music. Are they suppose to sound like this, or do i have "duds" possibly. I'm using a marantz 2226 receiver with a JVS CD player. Are these speakers more suited for LP as opposed to CD. I'm comparing the Large Advent's to my Advent Legacy II that i've had for 13 years. They sound very similar to the Large Advents, but the "top end" is clearer and more open sounding to me. The bass of the Legacy's don't quite match that of the Large Advents, but the Legacy seems to be overall better balanced. Iwould appreciate any comment in reference to sonic qualities of either speaker. Thanx

Guest SpruceMoose

sounds like you have a good feel for the audio balance from the advents. the original large advents (like you have) were known for their bottom end, but the highs were a little lacking. the "new large advents", which i have owned since the mid-late 70s, were considered to have bass extension almost as good as the originals, but a slightly hotter, extended high end. pretty much what you have noticed.

you should get many years of listening pleasure out of your new toys!

enjoy!

sm.

Archived