Large advents: refoaming vs. "new"

Like many others, the foam around the woofers on my large advents has deteriorated (pieces missing in one; other looks okay, but can't be far behind). Contacted Recton. They claim to have a replacement woofer(at $85 each)for my original woofers. My question is: would I be better off getting these "new" replacement woofers or would I be better off getting my originals refoamed by someone such as Layne Audio. I've had the speakers over 20 years and havn't found anything I like better. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

I have had a couple of advents refoamed and they sound great. I could not notice any difference. I have seen pro and con debate about this issue though.

There are a number of places online that offer refoaming services as well as DIY kits for foam replacement.

Do a search on "speaker refoam", "speaker repairs" or "speaker surrounds" Look at the main page at this site and some companies are listed.

If your interested send me an email and I can send you a list of the ones I've found and save you some time.

If you decide to buy new woofers don't throw out the old ones. You can sell them on Ebay. In fact, I think there are some large woofers on ebay now. Also, try Layne Audio for replacement woofers.

To find a local shop that offers refoaming/reconing services you can look at http://www.recone.com

I purchased a pair of "walnut" Advents about 2 years ago. The woofer foam was completely gone and the tweeters were fried.

About 8 months ago I purchased a "refoam" kit from Parts Express for $18.95 + shipping/handling . I took my time and carefully refoamed the woofers myself. I won a pair of tweeters on Ebay and took all of 5 minutes to install. I am very happy with the results and it really was not difficult to do. And not much money either.

For the last 8 months I have enjoyed listening to these speakers. I must have done a good job on the refoam or I would have noticed by now.

The Advent is a unique speaker. Its a triumph of minimalism. The woofer is really cheap, its only a 2 way design with a fairly decent tweeter and a simple but handsome cabinet. Its such a satisfying speaker. Never annoying. Great bass & highs. Maybe just a little lacking in the midrange.

Whatever you ultimately do, please post the results here. I for one would be interested how it worked out for you.

• 1 year later...
Guest Twebbz

I know that this an old question but I did replace my woofers with new ones about EIGHT years ago. I was quite skeptical but at that time I had no options. I paid $100 each for them and I could absolutely hear no difference whatsoever. I see they are available at www.simplyspeakers.com for $129.00. But,at that price you might consider new speakers.

Guest SpruceMoose

well, i paid 194 per woofer to get them refoamed about 12 years ago. now i just spend 20 bux and do it myself. love my advents! and the internet!!! :)

sm.

Guest russwollman

I've replaced the foam surrounds on a dozen speakers (AR & various Advents) with fine results. Refoaming the Advent woofer is an easy process, even fun, especially if you've never done it.

Layne Audio has a replacement woofer they claim is better (I imagine the Recoton driver is imported and not as good as the original). The fellow who is "Layne Audio" is a good man, but reaching him is nearly impossible. If you do reach him, ask him to send you some replacement upgrade tweeters and crossover capacitors for your Advents. These are absolutely worth the price, easily installed, and will improve your speaker.

The Advent is a classic design well worth refurbishing. You will spend a lot more money on today's offerings to get something as satisfying.

Guest Bear908

In approx. 1982 I purchased a pair of the walnut Advents (used). In the interim they have migrated throughout my family, with one of my sons being the last owner(?). About a year ago the surrounds went south (apparently a longer life than usual. I am again the owner, since no one wanted non-working Advents. After stumbling across this site, I decided to tackle the refoam procedure. I am awaiting receipt of the new surrounds from Parts Express. In the meantime, I'm doing my best to remove 25-year old glue from the steel basket.

That's the primary reason for this post: does anyone have any secrets regarding adhesive removal? Have tried alcohol, Goof-Off, acetone, razor knife, putty knife and fingernails (ouch!). All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Love this site.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grassulo

My "secret" for adhesive removal? Go to your local hardware store and buy the smallest wire wheel you can, if you don't have an electric drill, this may be a good time to buy an inexpensive corded one, cordless will eat batteries for breakfast using a wire wheel. Also get yourself a pair of saftey glasses or goggles (glasses don't fog) if you don't have any, you don't want steel wires in your eyes, they sometimes go flying. And just go around the frame with the wire wheel and get the adhesive off, you may also want a dust mask, because otherwise you'll be eating the adhesive dust, not good. It may be a lot of stuff to buy, but it's by far the easiest method I've tried, and I've tried all that other stuff, on some old speakers, that adhesive just will not budge. clean the cones and the frame edge you did with the wire wheel with nail polish remover, www.simplyspeakers.com should have refoam kits for your advents, I've done four AR 2ax's with them, all good results, just take your time, dont rush!

-Garret

Guest easyrider

My method for cleaning off the old glue from steel basket Advent woofers is simple.

From the basket:

1. Remove as much of the old rotted foam with your fingers. Just rub gently on the steel basket.

2. Using a moist rag, dampen the old glue on the steel basket. go around the ring about 4 or five times, until you can peel off the old glue with your finger nail or a sharpened wooden stick. I use a sharpened disposable chopstick, the kind they include with chinese take-out dinners.

Caution: do not get other parts of the woofer wet, specially the paper cone. it will become soggy. it looks like Advent cones are made of paper mache.

3. Clean off whatever residue is left with the moist rag.

4. This method will not scratch the finish on the metal basket. This finish looks like a phosphate coating; it doesn't look like paint.

5. I've tried this method with metal basket woofers ONLY, 4 pairs to be exact.

The Masonite ringed woofers on the early Advents (below Ser. No. 300,000) may require a different technique. I will post my procedure when I get to develop it.

From the cone:

1. Simply rub the rotted foam from the cone, using your fingers only.

2. The operative word in this process is patience, specially for those with thick fingers. An alternative to using your fingers is to use Q-tips. Apply minimal pressure when rubbing. Avoid deforming the cone at all cost.

3. When most of the rotted foam is gone, leftover residue can be cleaned off with a Q-tip VERY SLIGHTLY moistened with isopropyl alcohol. The idea is to remove as much of the old residue so that the new foam surround will contact the cone properly.

4. The resulting surface will be slightly tacky, but that's fine.

5. Let dry thoroughly before glueing on the new foam, about 30 to 45 minutes.

On Foam Replacements:

I've tried replacement foam from Simply Speakers at $27.00/pair (this one was for Advent/2 woofers). For Large Advent woofers (10 inch), I got an $11 pair from ebay, then I bought 12 pairs for $32 including shipping. As far as sound reproduction, they all worked well for me. For durability, only time will tell.

Physically, they all looked similar except that the 12 pairs were

designed/made with the "angled" inner flange...this also worked fine with the flat cone flange of the Advent woofer. The foam somehow conforms to the flat cone flange surface when wet with the "tacky" white craft glue I use.

On glue:

I've used both the contact cement type and white tacky "craft" type of glue. I prefer the latter because it allows me a longer time to work the foam into proper alignment. if you choose this craft glue as well, make sure you get the thick, very viscous type that will not "run". For speaker foam, ordinary "school" or "office" white glue will not work well because they do not have enough "body" and so they are diffcult to control.

Foam Glueing Procedure:

This thread is getting too long winded so I will reserve my 2 cents for later, or I'll post it on somebody's request.

Miscellaneous:

Improperly glued foam will come loose at high volumes. On one of my Large Advents (which the seller refoamed)I noticed a vibration from the woofers. About 3 inches of the foam circumference came loose. I simply applied tacky craft glue with a toothpick.

Guest Bear908

Just a quick word of thanks for the responses to my query. The project went reasonably well and the results were excellent. The Advents are playing as I write, and as I recall, they sound as good, if not better than they did in 1981. Thanks again.

Bill

Archived