Advent/3 or 4?..........

Around 1979 or 80, I purchased a pair of Advents smaller than the "Smaller Advents", about the size of a Dynaco A-10. They were styled exactly like the utility vinyl Advents. I seem to recall them being called either Advent/3 or Advent/4, but I'm not certain. Does anyone have any information or memory of these? I don't see them mentioned or discussed anywhere.

I have a brochure on the Advent/3 from 1976. It lists the dimensions as 15 3/4" x 9 3/8" x 6 5/8" deep. Weighs 10.6lbs, impedance is at 8 ohms. Non resonant particle board finished in walnut-grained vinyl. Recommended Amp power 8 watts. There wasn't any listing of frequency response. Some of the history postings list other models. I've seen the Advent/3 listed on ebay occasionally.

It would be the Advent 3. There was a One, 2, and 3, each decending in size. "One" was the new Large Advent, The Advent 2 was the replacement for the Smaller Advent, woofer was built on the same 9" frame but with a smaller and much lighter cone. The "3" was what eventually became the Advent "Baby" series speakers.

Both the 2 and 3 have odd ball woofers that are impractical to repair, but new woofers can be fitted with an adapter plate. Both used the same cone tweeter, the 2 had two tweeters and the 3 just one. No stock tweeters for these, but the 3" Bose tweeters make ideal replacements if you want to stick with cones, otherwise you can easliy modify and upgrade to a dome tweeter.

Archived