KLH Model 14 / 19 crossover / compensation network ??

Guest bottom_feeder

Guest bottom_feeder

while dissecting a pair of KLH model 14s' (the flat version of the 'bookshelf' 19's & 15's . . . ) I noticed there is a crossover, or compensation network mounted to the interior of the speaker . .

I know these drivers are 'fullrange', so does anyone know the reason for the network ? Notch filter ? LF boost ? Are both drivers in these speakers actually run fullrange ?

thanks for any help !

I have tons of these drivers, and have used them in an open baffle line array, but the next experiment is to try them in a ported box / line array so I can take advantage of their low frequency extention . . .

The 15 & 19 came with the phonograph and it's output was contoured to increase bass. The 14 was the original dual driver with the 3" speakers (besides the early model 8 speaker). A few years ago I had a 14B - it is shaped like the 15 & 19 and had both an RCA jack for use with KLH phonographs and screw terminals for use with other amps.

The Drivers themselves should all be the same...14,14B,15,19, including the midrange in the model 5 and 12. It's a stong little speaker with 3/8" of cone travel...great for custom projects. I myself want to put four of them in a 1952 Baruch-lang cabinet (Kloss' first production speaker).

Andy

Andy

Are you sure the ubiquitous full range/mid is the same as that used in the original 2-driver eight? I took one apart recently and unfortunately did not take photos, but the dual drivers looked different than the later single driver. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll tear one apart again and take a picture....

So I'm wondering if the later ones share the same heritage as the originals. I have quoted some of your KLH history:

"Back in 1959 the audio consultants Bolt, Beranek & Newman had a project to equip the Senate chambers with high quality individual speakers for each Senator. So BB&N went to KLH and Kloss designed a speaker but the project fell through, so the speaker ended up in the Model 8 radio in 1960. Then it was used in the model 11, 14,15,19,50 speakers as well as the mid-range drivers for the high end model 5 speaker and of course the Model 21 radio in 1966".

I'm just wondering if that really was the same speaker, after seeing the original in the raw. The dual drivers are closer to 3" while the later ones are more like 4".

Kent

• 3 weeks later...
Andy

Are you sure the ubiquitous full range/mid is the same as that used in the original 2-driver eight? I took one apart recently and unfortunately did not take photos, but the dual drivers looked different than the later single driver. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll tear one apart again and take a picture....

So I'm wondering if the later ones share the same heritage as the originals. I have quoted some of your KLH history:

"Back in 1959 the audio consultants Bolt, Beranek & Newman had a project to equip the Senate chambers with high quality individual speakers for each Senator. So BB&N went to KLH and Kloss designed a speaker but the project fell through, so the speaker ended up in the Model 8 radio in 1960. Then it was used in the model 11, 14,15,19,50 speakers as well as the mid-range drivers for the high end model 5 speaker and of course the Model 21 radio in 1966".

I'm just wondering if that really was the same speaker, after seeing the original in the raw. The dual drivers are closer to 3" while the later ones are more like 4".

Kent

Archived