KLH Model Six Tweeter Differences

Charles218

I have two pair of Model Six's, one with black tweeters, the other with raw gold colored tweeters. Quoting from a thread from September of 2006, "I've seen examples of silver, gold (zinc chromate, I'd reckon), and black tweeters. They are all them same tweeter", is this accurate, are they the same tweeter? The gold ones were what came on the units that I purchased used, the black tweeters I purchased on Ebay and they came off of the KLH Model Seventeen.

Charles

Guest matty g

Hi Charles -

I've run into the same problem on several occasions, and I posed that same question in a previous posting. It depends on the serial number of your Model Sixes as to which tweeter it came with. If you scroll down to the thread with the heading "KLH Tweeter Application Questions" and go to the last update on it by KLHSvcMgr it's explained pretty well, though it seems KLH made a number of production line changes along the way. The tweeters in those units were often replaced over the years, so if you aren't the original owner you may have two different tweeters. If you remove one wire from each and check the impedance you can tell if they are 4 or 8 ohm versions. The black or silver doesn't have any bearing on the tweeter itself, that was just a cosmetic change. The chances are that they are 4 ohm versions, as this was the most common type.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the response and reference to the "KLH Tweeter Application Questions" thread. So it does seem that the color of the unit does not necessarily make a difference in the quality of the tweeter. I may sell one of my pairs in the near future and just wanted to check to see if there were any real differences.

Charles

Archived