What is "KLH Research X"?

JKent

>Never heard of KLH Research Ten speakers. What are they?

I vaguely remember some advertising. Probably from the mid- or late-seventies; the impression I got was that KLH was trying to modernize the look of their speakers (perhaps this series had wrap-around grille-cloths, and wood caps on the top and bottom?). But I've never seen or heard them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SWidger

I have a pair of Research 10, CL-3 3 way speakers taking up room in my home office. I imagine they are from the late 70's. Any idea what (if anything) they might fetch on eBay?

Cabinets are in good shape, grills are in good shape, foam on woofers toast.

Thanks in advance for your insight - Stan

• 2 weeks later...

>I have a pair of Research 10, CL-3 3 way speakers taking up

>room in my home office. I imagine they are from the late

>70's. Any idea what (if anything) they might fetch on eBay?

might not be much. I bought mine in similar shape to yours for ~$15. I did recone (and retweeter) mine, though. Nice sound for my purposes.

Ken

>Cabinets are in good shape, grills are in good shape, foam on

>woofers toast.

>

>Thanks in advance for your insight - Stan

Guest benemusica

Research X, as it was explained to me back in 1978, was KLH's attempt at the super high end. A last blast since they were being bought out. I have a pair of the CT-38 also known as the Pistol. The list price back then was $700 for the pair. I bought a pair for $350 in 1978 and I have had them ever since.They are one of the finest speakers I have ever owned. They blew away the Maggies and the only other speakers that come close are my Martin Logan Sequel II's.

To really get the best out of them, top electronics will be needed. A great combination was a Sumo "The Nine" 60wpc class A amp & Audio Research SP-7 Preamp. Good luck.

• 12 years later...

Looks like it ran from at least '74 through '78, based on buyers guides. The
CT-38 was apparently a one-year model ('78).

CT-38 Two-Way Speaker System
Two-way speaker system with two 8-1/4" woofers and two 2-1/2" tweeters;
min. input 10 W rms; max. input 75 W/ch rms; 4-ohm imp.; hand oiled oak
veneer accent panels, wrap-around cloth panels, and removable smoked
glass top; 41" H x 11" W x 11" D $250.00

• 4 months later...

New member here, and current member of the FB Vintage Hifi and Stereo Enthusiasts and Vintage KLH Audio groups.  I've been collecting 70's era KLH for years with a particular interest in the Research Ten series.  I own the following models: CB-6, CB-8, CB-10, CB-10x, CB-12, CL-3, CL-4a, Classic 5, SCX-2, CT-38 Pistol, and CT-44 Magnum.  Still trying to track down the CB-430, Classic One, SCX-3 and Classic Four.  There was also a Research X Model 60 turntable, btw.

KLH Service Manual SFM-125.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have the KLH Research 10 Magnum CT-44's tower speakers.  Bought them new around 1979.   They were marked down at a local electronics store and I got them on a closeout for $179 each (If I remember correctly, they were marked down 50% from the original price).  I used them until about 2003 then moved them to the basement rec room. They always sounded great.  They are in great shape, but I need to get the woofers re-foamed.   Would love to find some additional details.

- Original list price

- How they compared to other speakers in that time frame and to today's speakers.

They are 41" x12 x 12 in size and have 2 10" woofers, 2 - 3" mids, 1 - 1" dome . response 45 to 22 khz, 4 ohm. I can post pics if anyone has an interest in seeing what they look like.  Below is a link to the smaller version (CT-38s) playing.  These also sounded good.   

(6) Watch | Facebook