Model Eight cabinet variation ?

Andy

This example(ebay no. 150141956338)has what looks like the earlier solid walnut cabinet, but seems to have thinner then than the normal 1/2 inch thick cabinet. It also looks like it has lap joints at the corners instead of the usual rabbet joints. It's not homemade seeing it has schematic on it's base. I've asked the seller for serial numbers and cabinet thickness so I can add to my data log on Model Eight's.....this may be an early example before they standardized the cabinet ?

Andy

Seller's reply indicates about a 5/16 inch thick cabinet with finger joints......rather unique since the serial numbers are in the 3,000 range which was the middle of the solid walnut cabinet production. I've logged close to 200 Model Eights in my log and never seen a cabinet like this.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if you've been in touch with the buyer, Andy. He shared some photos with me. Here is a shot of the finger-jointed corners. The new owner speculated it may be a home-built cabinet but that seems unlikely because the faceplate is part of the cabinet on the Eights. Very interesting--wish I had bought it!

Also an unidentified big cap running across the tops of the 3 pots. What the heck is that?

Interesting indeed, I doubt home-made, it looks like a factory made piece. If I remember from the auction, it has a schematic on he bottom which makes be think it's a production variation. The way to be sure would be to find another like it, but as I mentioned, I've seen a lot of model eights and never seen that cabinet.

I like oddball items, like the model 13 that is labeled "Model Eight Stereophonic Adapter" on it's front panel. It also has different labeling for it's control knobs. Another odd one is the model 11 radio ! It was the control unit from the model 11 phonograph mounted in a vertical standing cabinet about 14" tall 6" wide. I've seen a couple of these and thought it was home-made, but the two examples were the same? Then I met a KLH employee who said they were made up for workers so the coud listen to the radio at work (circa 1964).

Keep yours eyes open for those gems...Andy

Archived