surround coatings

Guest crusty

Guest crusty

Hi everyone, for a suitable coating substance to apply to cloth surrounds when either refurbishing or repairing, has anyone thought of using a good quality latex house paint ? It can be purchased in a tintable base, called clear base. It is then tinted to the color desired.

I think it is very similar to the stuff sold to give speaker cones that "wet look". Good quality latex paint is very flexible and usually a thick consistency. Two coats of clear base on a surround may just do the job.

Personally I would worry about using a butyl thinned with solvent, it may dissolve the glue holding the surround to the cone.

>Hi everyone, for a suitable coating substance to apply to

>cloth surrounds when either refurbishing or repairing, has

>anyone thought of using a good quality latex house paint ? It

>can be purchased in a tintable base, called clear base. It is

>then tinted to the color desired.

>I think it is very similar to the stuff sold to give speaker

>cones that "wet look". Good quality latex paint is

>very flexible and usually a thick consistency. Two coats of

>clear base on a surround may just do the job.

>Personally I would worry about using a butyl thinned with

>solvent, it may dissolve the glue holding the surround to the

>cone.

>

Okay, you first with the house paint - good luck and let us know how you make out.

If you don't want to chance it, I recommend you buy some XL49 from Orange County Speaker Repair. Currently at $10/oz. It's water based and designed for sealing surrounds - particularly pro-audio textile surrounds.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

It strikes me that this is not a very good idea. In fact, it could ruin these speakers. I second Carl's suggestion below and that is what I intend to do when I need to reseal my own. It is critical that the surrounds remain as compliant as possible. Stiffening them with any material will change their mechanical performace from an air suspension to a mechanical suspension, the deisgn intending that air trapped inside be the predominant restoring force because of its linearity. Stiffening them not only reduces the linearity, it increases the bass resonant frequency and may introduce a resonant peak. Therefore, even with products like XL49, two thin coats are preferable to one thick coat. You want to restore the air tightness with the least amount of material having the most flexibility possible.

Archived