Butyl Coating on Cloth Surrounds...

KLHSvcMgr

Hi Folks...

I had a fellow write me in another group inquiring what he could do with dried out cloth surrounds on a pair of 703 speakers. Back in history, we used a butyl compound that we brushed onto the cloth skiver. The compound was black in color and went on like thick paint and then dried to a uniform rubbery surface. Since I know it isn't around any longer (Manufacturing concocted it in the back room) and I don't remember the compound, could anyone offer a suggestion for something similar that can be obtained in today's marketplace.

Can anyone help this old guy?

Mark

I found my service bulletin on the Butyl coating (SFM-60) and the information.

The coating we used was based on a basic Butyl Rubber compound that was Butyl Rubber sealant used by Commercial Roofers. That compound was thinned using Toluol (Toluene) to a consistency which allowed it to be applied with a paint brush. The Toluol was used rather than other thinners because of its faster evaporation characteristics.

I sourced some of the actual Butyl Rubber from my local Menards, in a caulk gun tube, and removed the contents. I mixed it with Toluol and obtained the necessary viscosity. I applied it to a couple of old drivers, from my junk supply, and it seems to work properly.

I can't comment on the water soluble latex, but question whether it would have the sane effect on the skivers.

Mark

joelongwood, in another thread, mentions a latex product sold by Orange County Speakers. I believe the same product is sold by M_Sound. I remember reading about the use of ArmorAll but am rather skeptical about that. As for messing with tolulene--I think that is a carcinogen and not some thing I would want to mess with (I did use it in my foolish youth--nasty stuff). That white latex stuff works well for attachinf foam surrounds, and thinned it is used to treat cones, so I think I'll try it on my cloth surrounds.

Kent

I just got this from M_Sound:

actually the "adhesive" I use in my kits IS in fact, a dampener; the stuff used on those cloth surrounds you speak of. That's why it is referred to in my ebay listings as WD... for "white dampener." It really was developed with that function in mind, which is why it NEVER hardens and why it is superior as a foam adhesive too, because it will never cut delicate foam edges, like a hardening adhesive like "Elmer's."

here is his web site (under construction)

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

click the ebay logo on the bottom to visit his ebay store or email him to inquire about ordering the "WD"

msound@citlink.net

I recommend this guy and his products

Kent

The latex product I mentioned in a previous thread is not from Orange County......it's a thinned mixture of silicon latex caulk from Ace Hardware, and water. After reading many endorsements of this method of sealing cloth surrounds, I figured I would try it myself. I mixed the caulk/water to a rather thin paint consistency and simply brushed it on. It goes on white (which is nice so you can see where you've been) and dries clear. I liked the results on my KLH 5's (done 2 years ago and still flexible), so I continued on to a pair of KLH 17's and 20's, along with some AR2ax's and AR3's. In all cases, the surrounds remain sealed yet flexible. Thus, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. :D

Hi Joe

It's late and I'm not too good at searching the forums, but I'm sure I got that info on Orange County from a thread here a couple of days ago and I "thought" that info was your contribution. Now I can't find it. I did find your posting about the Ace Hardware latex.

I'm a little cautious about using roofing cement, caulk or Armor-All. I'd rather use something specifically marketed for treating speakers. Just my own cautious approach. The products from M_Sound and Orange County Speaker (and others probably) seem like what I would choose.

Kent

>Hi Joe

>It's late and I'm not too good at searching the forums, but

>I'm sure I got that info on Orange County from a thread here a

>couple of days ago and I "thought" that info was

>your contribution. Now I can't find it. I did find your

>posting about the Ace Hardware latex.

>

>I'm a little cautious about using roofing cement, caulk or

>Armor-All. I'd rather use something specifically marketed for

>treating speakers. Just my own cautious approach. The products

>from M_Sound and Orange County Speaker (and others probably)

>seem like what I would choose.

>Kent

I highly recommend the XL-49 stuff from Orange County. I use it exclusively for all my pro-audio recone jobs. Most of those cones come with unsealed, accordion fabric surrounds which must be sealed in order for the driver to function properly.

It's all about the music

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Interesting concept. Back in the old days, latex wasn't ever considered, nor do I believe it was available in any form that we ever considered.

I am not really a fan of the butyl/toluene combination, knowing what we know today about the chemical toluene. I am going to try the latex deal that you mention on a couple of old drivers that I have lying about and see how it compares.

Thanks for the idea.

>Interesting concept. Back in the old days, latex wasn't ever

>considered, nor do I believe it was available in any form that

>we ever considered.

>

>I am not really a fan of the butyl/toluene combination,

>knowing what we know today about the chemical toluene. I am

>going to try the latex deal that you mention on a couple of

>old drivers that I have lying about and see how it compares.

>

>Thanks for the idea.

>

>

I had read a lot about this solution of thinned latex/water sealer before I decided to try it, so I'm in no way the first to suggest it or use it. Others had reported good success with it, and stated it did the job as intended. I'm very curious about your impressions of this thinned latex mix as a sealer, so please keep us posted with regards to your findings. Thanks.

Bob

• 2 years later...
Hi Folks...

I had a fellow write me in another group inquiring what he could do with dried out cloth surrounds on a pair of 703 speakers. Back in history, we used a butyl compound that we brushed onto the cloth skiver. The compound was black in color and went on like thick paint and then dried to a uniform rubbery surface. Since I know it isn't around any longer (Manufacturing concocted it in the back room) and I don't remember the compound, could anyone offer a suggestion for something similar that can be obtained in today's marketplace.

Can anyone help this old guy?

Mark

I have been working with a butyl compound that works well on KLH woofer surrounds...more info in the AR forum.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...40&start=40

PM me if you would like to give it a try.

Roy

Archived