KLH woofers

day67

Guest matty g

Hi Vern

Nice collection fo some top quality woofers you've got there. I think Andy mentioned that the weight in grams is marked on the FRONT of the woofer cone - the handwritten marks we always see on all of the woofer cones. I believe he mentioned the Model Five woofer cone weighed in at 25 grams - hence the 25 scrawled on the front of the cone - wonder what others might be.

Matt

Just re-read your post and realized you WERE reading the numbers on the front of the cone - sorry! I suppose the weight may vary from cone to cone, so maybe the numbers are exact weights taken right from the scale? It would be interesting to hear just how it was done at the factory back then.

Hi Matt;

Are you suggesting that there may be legible markings of some sort on the back of the woofer cones irregardless of the model of speaker a 10" woofer comes from?

Should we now be looking at the felt markings on the front of the cones of any 10" woofers for indentification?

What should we be looking for to identify the KLH Six and Seventeen woofers?

Hi there;

Let me see if I have this down, right now.

A month or 2 ago I was informed that the KHL Twelve, Five and Twentythree use the same 10" KLH woofer.

All of the photos I had seen of KLH 10" woofers had a square magnet, doesn't matter which model either, that's fine.

Along comes the two from a KLH Twelve system with the double black round magnet sections, that's different, but ok.

I'll assume these are early alnico magnets.

I win that pair and they arrive ok.

Now a pair of KLH Five woofers are currently for sale with a single black round magnet section, rather than the two in mine, and un-like the square magnet usually seen in photos.

I should buy these to try them out, not that I need two more woofers.

There is currently a KLH 10" woofer listed now for the KLH Six and KLH Five and possibly others, right, with a square magnet.

If only Henry had numbered or coloured them for ready reference.

I am more equipped with knowledge to buy AR or Dynaco classic drivers, than KLH, that's for sure.

Guest matty g

>Hi Matt;

>

>Are you suggesting that there may be legible markings of some

>sort on the back of the woofer cones irregardless of the model

>of speaker a 10" woofer comes from?

>

>Should we now be looking at the felt markings on the front of

>the cones of any 10" woofers for indentification?

>

>What should we be looking for to identify the KLH Six and

>Seventeen woofers?

Hi Vern -

If the felt mark on the front of the cone is the weight in grams, then the Model Six weight should be considerably less than the Model Five weight. The numbers may not all be the same from the same model possibly because they are the exact weight from the scale and it is easy to believe that the same cone can be off by a few grams. This is pure speculation on my part - I'm assuming the weight markings on the front of the cones are accurate measurements and that may account for the wacky numbers that don't quite match up on cones from the same model system.

Model Seventeen is a smaller woofer than the Six. It is the 8 ohm version of the Model Twenty phono system woofer. Presumably it would have the same cone weight as the Twenty, but again - pure speculation. Andy is far more knowledgable on this subject than I am - perhaps he can help make sense of it all?

Take Care

Matt

Archived