AR-2ax Ques. about tweeter replacement

I bought a pair of AR-2ax's recently that are in very nice shape. The woofers have just been re-foamed and a thin urethane coating has been put over the woofer cones by a speaker shop in Arizona, which increases durability (or so they say). I decided to try them out. They are very nice speakers. Not quite as nice as my AR-3's, but they are keepers, none the less. My problem is that one of the tweeters has gone bad now. Probably completely blown, indicated by lack of sound and intermitant static from the tweeter. I am going to turn these over to a local shop here in Austin that is very competent and innovative. He said he can do a number of different replacements, as well as calling AR themselves to get possible tweeter replacements. Are there any tweeters that you can think of that would work well in the AR-2ax? I understand that the 2ax's compromised a bit by not installing the known engineering achievements for the sake of a cheaper price, so maybe now I can install some higher quality tweeters that would make these speakers sound a little bit better. Any recommendations that I can pass along to my faithful techie would be welcome.

Thanks, Jason P.

If a driver is dead its dead, a scratchy sound from an AR mid or tweeter usually means the level controls are shot and need to be replaced. Good news is that the new controls are much cheaper than a new tweeter.

Archived