KLH 23 price check

draftingmonkey

There is a guy about an hour south of me selling 2 pairs of KLH 23's for $175. Seems a little high to me. The pics make them look to be in great shape. I was thinking $100 ($50 a pair). Never had any KLH and was thinking about trying some out.

Thanks for the input.

James

Hi James;

I checked out the KLH Chronological list in the KLH library.

No information that I can pass on to you, sorry.

My advice, barring another member comes along with better advice, buy KLH 17, KLH 6, KLH 5 or KLH 12.

Each is a proven performer with an unquestionable history.

Regarding the KLH 6's, I would tend to not look at the earlier versions that are epoxied in, service would be very difficult, if not impossible, rather than the later version.

Check out ebay for a rough price/value.

Your wife should not let you out, except to go to work, James. lol

Good luck.

Vern,

That's why I come here and ask. That way I don't jump into the deep kimchi with both feet.

Sometimes the wife does wonder though. It helps that the wife knows that I am a little (lots) nuts.

May pick up a Pioneer tape deck to go with some vintage systems I have. And the guy mentioned that he will be selling a Yamaha CR-600 in a couple of months. Have been looking for a vintage Yammie. Of course, I will have to look for speakers to go with. I will keep an eye out for the models mentioned and let the 23's pass.

Talk to you later and thanks for the input.

James

Guest dbradley

I own a pair of 23's and I like them very much. (I also own a few pairs of 17's, a set of Cambridge Acoustics satellite/woofers, a pair of Klipsch Forte's, and a pair of Newtons.) They are basically the 17's, but with a larger (odd-sized) woofer. They also have more trim, so it is a less clean look. But in terms of sound, they are like the 17's but more bass available. Compared to the Newtons, they are not quite as bright but have more bass. Compared to the Klipsch's, they have a little less bass. If the woofers broke down, it is not easy to buy replacements, because the 23's did not sell as much as the 17's because of the higher price. Repair is not a problem otherwise: the drivers are screwed into the baffleboard and easily removed. So if I were you, I would go listen to them and decide. If you like them, $87.50 a pair is not a bad price relative to what things go for today. They'll sound better than most and look better (they look like good furniture - very nice walnut veneer). And if you treat them well, they'll last forever.

Guest kfa888

Great speakers but I have never paid more than $50 for a set in the Portland OR area. Up until a few weeks ago i had a stack of these and they sounded great.

Archived