Rare? Acoustic Research products ..

administrator

I was looking through my Blue Book (1995) the other day and noticed quite a few AR products I've never heard of. Anyone know more about these?

The "Limited" series of electronics .. quite a few models in this series from 1992-1993. Some of them sold for over $3,000!

The "Limited" and "Limited Model 3" speakers, $4,000 and $6,500 respectively in 1993.

"Athena" speakers, 1993, $599.

And .. has anyone heard the MGC-I or MGC-II's? I've never seen a pair, but would like to sometime.

Mark

Check out a completed auction on eBay....a guy was selling drivers/blueprints for a set of MGC-1's(just ended last week). I dunno how they would sound, but I would hope for 6 G's new they would make me pass out.

Kaw

>Don't see them .. I tried

>quite a few search terms

>on both current and completed

>auctions.

You know what, I'm a dork, it's a model LTD #3 kit. The OTHER very expensive one. Sorry I wasted your time. Regardless, the auction did not meet reserve.

Looks very interesting, but almost $7000!!!!!!!!!

The MGC-1 is called the Magic Speaker. It is designed by Ken Kantor in 1987. It's a tower speaker with dual 8" woofer, dual 4" midrange and a dome tweeter on the front. Also, there are side-firing speaker units (which are essentially the drivers of the AR-18B) on the side which are used to reconstruct a wide sound field. They are controlled and driven by a DSP unit and a power amplifier. The concept can be great, but the Magic Speaker have never had a chance to become popular.

Simon

• 3 months later...

Hi Simon

I am restoring a pair of MGC-1's (The magic Speaker).

I read your message and wondered if you owned a pair or have had any experience with them? All info will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Hi

I am restoring a pair of MGC-1 speakers and would like to know if you made any copies of the material you sold on ebay? If so please let me know. As regards your question on their sound. When set up right and in a large enough room they are truly awsome. They are NOT for rock music.

Classical and Jazz only!

• 2 years later...
Guest Moodylorenzo

Hi,

I just read your topic and yes, I've got myself an Athena model, which was compared to the Bose satellite system: 3 speakers (2 small + 1 subwoofer). If you would like a picture, send me a mail.

Archived