9s - what to drive them with

Guest Bret

BTW - correction, I said Dynaco "amp" and I meant "preamp." He had one of those seriously ugly Dynaco preamps at one time. Really ugly.

Switches looked like that came from a hardware store and the knobs' finish was practically "gone." Maybe she gave *that* to M.I.T.

Bret

Bret

Quick run out and buy a lottery ticket.

I am not sure which model " ugly " Dynaco pre-amp your uncle had but it may have been a Pas-3x which is a real collectors item today.

Only two pair?

This is going to one huge success once everything is together.

Just for your information WWW.CrownAudio.com still has discontinued owners and service manuals for download on their web-site for most all older equipment.

Very kind of Crown to support their older equipment.

If I can just find my Speaker Builder mags, if for nothing else, for you to keep that info for future service reference.

Good luck, Bret and auntie.

Vern

>Vern -

>

>You are going to love this.

>

>There are two pair of KLH-9s in her garage. Two. I only knew

>of one pair. . . which makes me wonder what my uncle was

>up-to.

>

>And she thinks the AR-LSTs may be in a box somewhere. . . she

>says she thought she gave them to M.I.T. when she left MA, but

>she thinks she recalls seeing them in Phoenix when she lived

>there a short while.

>

>Holy mackeral.

>

>Bret

>Quick run out and buy a lottery ticket.<

I'd better and it had better win. This is purely a cost item to me so that this stuff gets preserved. One day, when she's gone, her daughter and grandchildren will get it all. You'd have to know this aunt.

Then I can buy it on eBay after it quits working, I suppose.

But it isn't getting destroyed if I can help it.

Bret

• 2 weeks later...

My lead on someone to look these over and fire them up slowly was a blind alley. He told me that the economics were in replacing circuit boards and ICs as fast as he possibly could.

I have a call in to a guy who usually works on nothing but old guitar amplifiers. Maybe he can do it, or knows someone who can.

Bret

• 2 months later...

I was finally able to put my hands on the KLH-9s last night and was saddened.

They have been. . . mistreated beyond my wildest imaginings. There is "joint compound" all over the cabinets and it has been dripped onto the back, porous, metal panels as well as all over the grills and the wooden frames.

I'm guessing there are tens or maybe even more than 100 hours necessary to put them back like they were the last time I saw them. I don't have a good place to do this work. . . I'm debating what I might do, but I was really unhappy when I pulled them out from behind stuff and took a good look.

The other disappointment was that I have not hit the mother-load. I can't find my uncles' Carver amps or the Bose receiver. . . most of what I found was "junk" (like a really cheap TEAC cassette deck). The AR-LSTs are nowhere to be found.

Bret

>I was finally able to put my hands on the KLH-9s last night

>and was saddened.

>

>They have been. . . mistreated beyond my wildest imaginings.

>There is "joint compound" all over the cabinets and it has

>been dripped onto the back, porous, metal panels as well as

>all over the grills and the wooden frames.

>

>I'm guessing there are tens or maybe even more than 100 hours

>necessary to put them back like they were the last time I saw

>them. I don't have a good place to do this work. . . I'm

>debating what I might do, but I was really unhappy when I

>pulled them out from behind stuff and took a good look.

>

>The other disappointment was that I have not hit the

>mother-load. I can't find my uncles' Carver amps or the Bose

>receiver. . . most of what I found was "junk" (like a really

>cheap TEAC cassette deck). The AR-LSTs are nowhere to be

>found.

>

>Bret

Hi Bret;

Sorry that they were not as you remember them, I feel for you.

This would definitely be a labour of love to restore them and very time consuming.

I only hope that you or someone else can and will attempt to restore them while I am still able to follow this topic.

When I was packing up to move I came across a master carton of Dynaco A-25 tweeters that I had for a project long ago.

The air in Vancouver is very humid.

I still have not found the final box of The Audio Amateur magazine drawings for the KLH Nines yet but I have not given up looking for you yet.

Keep digging for treasure, Bret.

• 2 weeks later...

>Sorry that they were not as you remember them, I feel for you.<

I cannot get them off my mind. At least all the parts were there (they have been removed from their bases).

My plan is to see if a friend will give-over part of his unused garage for a restoration attempt. Any luck finding the article with the parts substitution instructions?

I would like to hear them one, last time (particularly paired with my AR-1w).

Bret

>>Sorry that they were not as you remember them, I feel for

>you.<

>

>I cannot get them off my mind. At least all the parts were

>there (they have been removed from their bases).

>

>My plan is to see if a friend will give-over part of his

>unused garage for a restoration attempt. Any luck finding the

>article with the parts substitution instructions?

>

>I would like to hear them one, last time (particularly paired

>with my AR-1w).

>

>Bret

Hi Brett;

I have not been successful locating the last box of magazines, sorry.

It seems to me a discussion of replacing diodes or diodes with a series of 6 - 7 diodes as I remember.

It may have been because of limitations of diodes power rating or voltage rating, at that time.

I honestly don't remember anything else.

I will still be looking for last elusive box.

I think The Audio Amateur Corporation sells back issues or maybe even re-prints of those dates and pages I sent you several months ago if you cannot wait for me.

Sorry I let you down, when I moved I wasn't the only one involved in the move and nothing was labeled where to go.

A word of advice to those contemplating moving in the near future.

DON'T!!

Actually, if one was to print up on 3" x 4" or 4" x 4" labels 5 copies for each box.

I am thinking tractor feed labels but laser will also do.

I would avoid a bubblejet printer, as their inks can wash away at a most inopertune time and place.

Numbered sequentially, but in sets of 5 of each number, top and ends and sides.

Anticipate the maximum number of boxes and run off that many sets ahead of time.

If these were tied in with a database, a printout of the labels and contents can also be printed out.

More like 5 or 10 copies of this printout to be safe.

My daughter has moved several times in her life but she hasn't accumulated like I have, thank god.

She suggested labeling the boxes and writing a brief description on a sheet of paper.

I numbered 5 of each label and a very brief, if understandable description was scrawled on a sheet of paper.

I made about 5 photocopies of each page but one or two original pages got lost, I have to still find out what is in those brown boxes, no clue.

I moved after 35 years and had a lot, not just a few, of brown boxes and no one was at the receivng end to say where the boxes should go.

Neither did the labels on the cartons tell us where to place them.

So having said this, I do hope this may give one or two of you some assitance in your planning for a move.

The label format would be square boxes labeled garage, house crawlspace, lower, main, upper and attic if necessary.

A black marker dab is all that is needed to identify where the box is to go.

There would be boxes on the label labeled master bedroom, guest bedroom, particular childs bedroom, dining room, stereo room, of course, dad's workshop, of course, garden shed, mom's sewing room, ceramic room, library, etc, etc.

This universal format would be, with the exception of its unique number, perhaps a little easier for the movers as well.

It well may be easier at the other end to see if any cartons are missing as well.

Also it was a problem because I downsized my home.

• 11 months later...

I only hope you have saved these. They are a work of art when they are operating correctly.

I own 3 pair and still want to buy more.. )

If you need any help restoring them, I may be able to help. I have rebuilt mine.

Archived