KLH model 56 & model 6

Guest Droog

Guest Droog

Looking for info on model 56, 10" woofer, vinyl cabinet, doesn't have that early KLH build quality. Also, how late did they make the model six....

As I recall, the last year the model six was manufactured was in 1972. Mine are an early pair and the woofers are epoxy cast into the front baffleboard as was explained elsewhere in another posting. They went back to the factory several times for repair but have worked without any problems for the last 25 years or so. If it wasn't for my AR9s, I would still regard them as the best speakers I have. I enhance them with three indirect upfiring 3/4 inch tweeters just the way I do with my AR9s.

• 1 year later...

I own a pair of KLH Seventeens, bought new in 1974. Sometime around 1978-1981, I saw in a local store a KLH pair that had vinyl clad cabinets. It was a two-way system, and I think that it was called 17, or it might have been something like 517. It was obviously the successor to the original 17, and it had a blue woofer and the tweeter was completely different than the original. The cabinet was much lighter weight. They sounded like every other cheap speaker in the store.

I didn't know what to think at the time, except that somebody must have bought the company and ruined the speakers. I knew that Singer had owned the company when my speakers were made, in the original design. So, I think that these and yours were put out after Singer sold the company.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived