rebuilding ar90's

Guest donald hill

Guest donald hill

drove my ar's a little to hard and ended up blowing a mis and a tweeter. now looking to rebuild. cross overs ect are all ok and have been considering purchasing a complete set of replacement speakers fro AB tech. does anyone know if their replacements are identicle to that of the originals. thanks

Guest donald hill

thank you forthe prompt response , sshould one assume that if AB Tech says "original" they probably are and if not specified then they are probably after markey replacement? also could you point me in a direction for the originals ....already familiar with ebay..thanks again

Guest treblehit

>should one assume that if AB Tech says "original" they probably are<

No.

One should assume that all "original" parts for "classic" AR speakers went extinct many, many years ago. There are no "original" parts to be purchased at retail.

They will fit in the "original" holes, but that's about it.

The upper midranges you are contemplating, if they are the same as I bought as replacements, are best employed if you want your 90s to sound something like a migrating goose. (i.e., "honky")

You can only use tweeters and midrange drivers from AR-9s and AR-90s as replacements.

I've tried the replacement drivers, all of them promoted as being for an AR-9, (those available a few years ago) and not one of them can be said to be a reasonable facsimile of the originals.

They were fine drivers, but they weren't meant for our speakers, and they don't really work in our speakers (AR-9 / AR-90).

Guest treblehit

>it may be time to put them out to pasture<

Only if you don't want to spend the time waiting for drivers to show-up on eBay. You can't be sure that the ones you buy are going to be good, but that seems to be our best bet.

I own extra drivers for my AR-9s (insurance against the day when they will not be available) and so if you start to pasture-ize your 90s, I might be interested in them. I can make them work again.

Then your 90s would be serving as a temporary repository for my "spare" drivers. Pasture, sure - landfill? No!

Bret

Archived