Ar-2ax amp recommendation

Guest filedog

I'm completing the restoration of my 2axs, and I'm looking for an integrated, SS amp to power them. Something in the Marantz/Yamaha/Sansui

(midpriced) range...looking for synergy : )

Kent, interestingly enough, I just got one : ) Now the bad news, as I was testing it, some of the magic smoke came out : ) It's currently in the shop. I'm optimistic though, and it's very good cosmetically, but the lack of inputs is a problem. The sound did seem very nice, while it lasted!

>Kent, interestingly enough, I just got one : ) Now the bad

>news, as I was testing it, some of the magic smoke came out :

>) It's currently in the shop. I'm optimistic though, and it's

>very good cosmetically, but the lack of inputs is a problem.

>The sound did seem very nice, while it lasted!

OOOOO sorry to hear that! Hope all is well. I had mine refurbished (reasonably) at Bristol Electronics here in NJ.

You're right about the limited inputs, but there is a solution. I used to have a dbx 200 "route selector" that would take several inputs and route them through the Tape Input. Sorry I sold it. But I see several 200s and 400s on ebay now. One of those should do the trick!

Good luck

Kent

I just finished restoring a beautiful set of 2ax speakers yesterday, and I was test driving them with an old Marantz 2230 that I keep around for bench testing things. It should be very underpowered, but they sound great together. What's great about the 2230 is that they are a dime a dozen and they have seperable pre out/power in jacks, so they can be used as a pre-amp/tuner (though not much of a tuner) if you have a power amp that you want to use.

Another way to go is the Pioneer SX-850. It's rated at 65 wpc, and imo it's perfect for those speakers...not too big, not too small, excellent tuner section, more inputs than you can shake a stick at, built like a tank, and most importantly...they sound great. I've been using one for years and I swear by it (not at it). It's driving my 3a's and my Dynaco A25's right now...Coltrane - it's his birthday today. THAT'S why you gotta have a good FM tuner!

Matt

I've got a Pioneer TX-9500II that's pretty nice, so I want an integrated amp....not a receiver. I was unimpressed by the Marantz gear I listened to so far, kind of veiled to me. I might need to give it another try though. I would like a piece that's similar in size to the Pioneer. Guess I'm thinkg more along the lines of Yamaha or Sansui, and if anyone's tried these, and found them really good. I always hear about "synergy" and "classic combos", although I can't find any info about what goes best with the Ars.

If you already have a seperate tuner, you might consider going for seperate pre-amp and power amp. That way you aren't tied down to the pre-power combo forever. I never understood the concept behind integrated amplifiers - I mean, you've already seperated the tuner, so why not seperate where it really matters?

Anyway, if you can go seperates, ADCOM would be my suggestion for the power section, they work beautifully with power hungry AR speakers and you get alot of bang for the buck. They make some very nice affordable preamps too. I've got an old ADCOM GFA-2 driving my TSW-610's and they are perfect together. I think it's only 100 wpc, but the sound quality is awesome. I'm using a Tandberg 3OO2A preamp, but there are so many to choose from and in so many price ranges.

I used to have that tuner, btw - it's a pretty good one (probably shouldn't of traded it away).

Matt

I had 2ax's (new version) in the early 70's. At first, I used a Dynaco SCA-80, which I'd built from a kit. An ok amp, a little 'sloppy' sounding.

In 1972, I got a Kenwood KA-7002 integrated, 60 WPC. Clean, tight, wonderful. Great match with the 2's.

In 1978, I got a Kenwood KA-8100 amp, 80 WPC. Even better than the 7002. The Kenwood integrateds from the '70's were truly outstanding in my experience, and great with AR's, whether 4-ohm or 8.

Steve F.

Hi -

Not to beat this subject to death, but classicaudio.com has the Pioneer 9500 series amp that matches your tuner for sale. It's been serviced by Tim (so you know it works) and it's only around $250. The specs and photos are in their classified section. I've never tried out this model amp, but it's hard to go wrong with Pioneer equip. of that vintage and caliber. Just a thought.

Matt

Matt, yeah, that's more what I'm looking for. I had an SX-950 (went to a buddy) that was pretty nice, bit forward in the midrange though, I'm thinking the amp may have a similar sound.

Shacky, I was thinking about a Sansui integrated, maybe an AU-517. I'd like the matching TU-517, but the Pioneer would be fine for now. Besides those pieces are going for around $300 on feebay. Interesting you had a 950, how would you compare the sound of that and your Sansui?

Steve, I'm currently listening (Lilly Allen) to a KA-7300. It's pretty nice, but seems a bit thin to me, highs a bit fatiguing. I'm afraid I was spoiled by the Mcintosh stuff I've listened to. I have a MAC 4100 in the shop, eagerly awaiting it's return. Doesn't look like much, and the TX-9500II is probably a better tuner, but man it sounds good. I wonder if Sansui amp would compare?

Brad,

The KA-7002 was $319.95 in 1972. It was fair-traded (no discount off retail), but when I bought it at Tech Hi-Fi in Cambridge MA, the salesman wrote "with trade-in" on the sales slip and took 20% off, to $256.00.

The KA-8100 was $499.95, a pretty stiff tag in 1978. The walnut side panels were extra, I think $40/pair. I also bought the matching KT-8300 tuner (also $500 + 40), which was the best tuner I ever had, by far.

I gave the pair away a few years ago after holding a lottery at my company for the prize. I still had all the original packing, the manuals, the Kenwood literature, everything. Boy, was the winner happy! I just didn't need them anymore; after all, how much older equipment can you hang onto?

I got FAR more satisfaction from giving them away to a co-worker who really appreciated them than I would have from selling them to a stranger for a few hundred dollars on eBay.

Steve F.

I was hoping for a comment by Ken Kantor who says all properly functioning solid state amplifiers sound the same.

As loudspeaker loads go, AR2ax is a relatively easy load for an amplifier to deal with by today's standards especially in comparison to the 12" 4 ohm AR models. It's power requirements are much more modest and its impedence is much higher which should make it possible for any reasonably good quality amplifier or receiver to drive it successfully. It's low frequency capabilities are surprisingly good but to realize its potential, power bandwidth and low end frequency response must be adequate, something not necessarily found in many recent HT receivers. A good quality unit intended for audio use, even a modestly priced one is usually a different story.

If the McIntosh amplifier has an autotransformer in its output stage, that may in part explain why its sound is different from other solid state amplifiers (IMO.)

As long as you guys are using vintage AR stuff, why don't you continue to use old American amps such Phase Linear,SAE or Adcom. I'm a dedicated Phase Linear owner and I plan on buying older SAE gear, I know if you pick-out the better conditioned gear, you'll be MORE-THAN happy! This stuff sounds just like it used to sound back then. That's what you want 'back-then' isn't it? Heck, I do, this modern stuff is either too expensive or crappy sounding at best. My old U.S. stuff is great sounding and at discount prices more than you, or I can ask for. Get 'HIP' joint the old appreciating types such as me, never doubting vintage American Hi-Fi, gear, hey, Japan and the rest of China has adopted a whole crazy buying habit of buying old U.S. gear. They don't buy stuff made there, those peeps buy stuff made here, figure it out. Ask yourself, why do you buy stuff like AR speakers, and there will lie your answer?

FM

I have discovered that many preamplifiers and preamp sections of integrated amps and receivers do not exhibit their flatest frequency response when their tone controls are at their indicated flat positions. This may explain why many manufacturers included a tone control bypass or defeat switch in later models. I think the disappearance of tone controls from modern day equipment is very regrettable, I found them quite useful.

Archived