AR4x Speakers - any opinions?

Guest Sal Brisindi

Guest Sal Brisindi

Hi there,

I am about to purchase a pair of AR4x Speakers. I was told the tweeters cut in and out so possibly the potentiometer is bad. How do these speakers sound? They will be connected to a Dynaco ST-70

Thanks,

Sal Brisindi

EDIT: I did a search on AR4x and found some real nice information on them...

Hi Sal

If you've done some research, you probably know something already. Like many young audiophiles of that era, my first pair of speakers were AR4x's. Think I paid about $90 the pair at Sound Reproduction in East Orange NJ. Originally paired them with a Dynaco ST-35 (could not afford the ST-70) I could tell you how great they are, but the bottom line is I'm still using them 40 years later! (they are the front speakers in my surround setup, flanking a plasma TV--love the irony). I refinished the wood, replaced the grille cloth, put in new caps and L-pads. They sound great. Lots of info in this forum about the 4x. The main concern would be the condition of the veneer--can it be refinished or are there big scratches and gouges? Everything else is fixable. Mine had cloth surrounds--don't know if they used foam on this model, but if so re-foaming is not hard. There are different opinions on new L-Pads (from Parts Express or Vintage AR) vs cleaning up the pots. Some members here think the L-pads are better than pots for the 4x (maybe not for the 3a). New caps are usually recommended--lots of opinions on those but Carli, Solen and Dayton are popular and affordable. New linen grille cloth will make them look like new. Good luck!

Sal:

I have been using my AR-4X's since I bought them in August of 1967 for $88.00 at Allied Radio in Chicago. I removed the pots but still am using the original caps in the cross over. They still sould great and I use them with a modern receiver in my home theater. I also later picked some additional ones on eBay and use one of these for the center speaker. The speakers I got later, I cleaned the pots with WD-40 and contact cleaner and they seem to work very well now. You can alsways replace them if you try cleaning them and don't like the results. I replaced the grill cloth and made some new emblems that from more than two feet away you can't tell from the originals, which were made from cheap metal and not brass as my replacements are.

Enjoy your speakers.

Archived