Which amp is more suitable?

JKent

I'm driving my classic speakers with an AR amp(currently a pair of AR 2ax's in one room and a pair of KLH Twelves with MicroStatic supertweeters in another. Switching is Niles). I just had my KLH Sixteen amp repaired, so now I have a choice of amps to use: AR or KLH. Any opinions? I'm using a Sherwood S-3300 tuner with the AR but would use a KLH Eighteen with the KLH.

I suppose this is a "Ford or Chevy" question, but looking for input.

Thanks

Kent

>I'm driving my classic speakers with an AR amp(currently a

>pair of AR 2ax's in one room and a pair of KLH Twelves with

>MicroStatic supertweeters in another. Switching is Niles). I

>just had my KLH Sixteen amp repaired, so now I have a choice

>of amps to use: AR or KLH. Any opinions? I'm using a Sherwood

>S-3300 tuner with the AR but would use a KLH Eighteen with the

>KLH.

>I suppose this is a "Ford or Chevy" question, but

>looking for input.

>Thanks

>Kent

Hi Kent;

At 8 ohms, of which both speakers are, the AR amp is rated at 50 watts RMS per channel.

Consistant test reports always found more watts output but using the rated watts only, a good match for either speaker system.

I believe that the KLH amplifier is rated at a much lower output, perhaps 35 watts per channel?

The AR amp can cleanly drive either system.

The KLH amp can very likely drive both speaker systems, separately of course, at a reduced level without clipping.

We would need to know the KLH's output to comment more.

Assuming both amps are functioning properly, the AR amp wins hands down by a mile in every respect. If the KLH 16 amp is the one I'm thinking it is (a single row of large silver knobs) it is a low powered amplifier with very little power at high frequencies. As I recall, it was not a particularly outstanding unit. The AR was on the other hand near the state of the art, nothing in its price class or anywhere near it could come close (except maybe Dynaco Stereo 120/Pat 4 with its quirky poorly designed bass control but still not as powerful.) I think the KLH amp predates the AR amp by several years as well. AR introduced theirs around 1967, the KLH was at least 2 or 3 years older. I bought my AR amp I think in the fall of 1968 along with an Empire 398GA turntable and an Empire 999VE cartridge. Speakers were KLH Model 6. Speakers wires were the best 16 gage lamp cord money could buy (in the lighting store I went to) ten cents a foot and worth every penny.

Thanksfor the input.

Vern and Soundminded are both correct--the KLH is 35 wpc. I like it because it compliments the Model EIghteen tuner, but for my "Vintage Rec Room System" I think I'll stick with the AR

thanx

Kent

Hi Kent;

Whereas I have never heard or owned a KLH amp or even read a test report, that I can remember about.

I do not believe that KLH electronics, which included tuners, receivers and packaged units, were at the top of hifi chain but then again they probably were good buys in their day.

KLH was known for some of their firsts.

I am certain that most members here would enjoy the KLH amp as well, noting it's power output capabilities.

An option that no one suggested is: "Why not use both amps??"

Specifically, let the powerful AR amp drive the power hungry woofers, while the KLH amp can easily handle the mids and tweeters.

This solution has been named "passive bi-amping" and I've personally had excellent results.

Regards,

Jerry

>I do not believe that KLH electronics, which included tuners,

>receivers and packaged units, were at the top of hifi chain

>but then again they probably were good buys in their day.

Hi Vern

I beg to differ. KLH made THE BEST table radios ever produced, and their Model Eighteen tuner was a wonderful, reasonably priced unit--possibly the first solid state FM tuner. And yes--they were good buys.

Unfortunately, KLH electronics were plagued by crappy capacitors--just like their speakers :-(

For some interesting reading, look for CSP member Andrew Hayden's articles on KLH products.

cheers

Kent

PS Here's a photo if you never saw one

Guest speedracer

speaking of receivers, looked in the library, but couldn't find anything about a AR- Model "W", any body help with some info, thanks. Martin

>Hi Kent;

>

>Whereas I have never heard or owned a KLH amp or even read a

>test report, that I can remember about.

>

>I do not believe that KLH electronics, which included tuners,

>receivers and packaged units, were at the top of hifi chain

>but then again they probably were good buys in their day.

>

>KLH was known for some of their firsts.

>

>I am certain that most members here would enjoy the KLH amp as

>well, noting it's power output capabilities.

Here's a Stereophile review from 1965:

http://stereophile.com/historical/565may/index1.html

It's just "The AR Receiver", Martin...there's no "W" in the name or model number. The 1970 & 1971 AR full-line brochures have info on the receiver.

My hunch is that the W is part of a serial number, and people frequently mistake it as part of the name or model.

There's one on Philadelphia Craigslist right now, that's referred to as a "W". This particular receiver has been re-listed a few times, and apparently nobody wants to meet the $400 asking price.

Archived