mst tweeter

roundhome

Hi Jim,

I'm certain someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in soon, but here's what I know.

From appearances, the MST tweeter looks like the same 1.25" Highrange that's used in the AR17/AR18. Both are wired from the back (unlike the AR6/AR7 tweeter, which is front wired). However, the AR parts list ca. 1977 lists the replacement MST tweeter as being part 200014-0, with part 2000014-3 as the replacement for the AR17/AR18. Both have 3 oz. magnets. Both are designed to crossover at 2000 hz. I don't know how the MST is wired, but if it has pairs of tweeters wired in series, it may be that the MST uses a 4 ohm version of this design.

The mystery deepens when you look at the 1986 parts list, where the replacement tweeter is stated to be part 1200014-1 (1200014-3 for the 17/18).

Whatever the variations are, this tweeter is one of the finest units ever designed for high-frequency reproduction . . . smooth, even response and excellent disbursion charateristics.

Best Regards,

Rich W

>Hi Jim,

>

>I'm certain someone more knowledgeable on the subject will

>chime in soon, but here's what I know.

>

>From appearances, the MST tweeter looks like the same

>1.25" Highrange that's used in the AR17/AR18. Both are

>wired from the back (unlike the AR6/AR7 tweeter, which is

>front wired). However, the AR parts list ca. 1977 lists the

>replacement MST tweeter as being part 200014-0, with part

>2000014-3 as the replacement for the AR17/AR18. Both have 3

>oz. magnets. Both are designed to crossover at 2000 hz. I

>don't know how the MST is wired, but if it has pairs of

>tweeters wired in series, it may be that the MST uses a 4 ohm

>version of this design.

>

>The mystery deepens when you look at the 1986 parts list,

>where the replacement tweeter is stated to be part 1200014-1

>(1200014-3 for the 17/18).

>

>Whatever the variations are, this tweeter is one of the finest

>units ever designed for high-frequency reproduction . . .

>smooth, even response and excellent disbursion charateristics.

>

>

>Best Regards,

>

>Rich W

Hello Rich Thank you for your imput. My 79 parts list has it as a 1200014 only for the mst-1. the -3 is lited for the 7x 17 18

I have one early cabinet that has four tweeters not in it. was looking at changing the crossover and blocking off one side to make it like the other one but still need to pick up three tweeters.

Jim

Hi

Could it be the same difference as with the LST/3a vs 5/2ax tweeter ie they are the same except the impedance?

As I don't have any of the drivers, I can't test it. I have a tweeter from the AR-6 that reads 4.6 Ohm (200005-0).

BRgds Klaus

Archived