AR-11 Floor Standing Speaker?

Guest leopoldstotch

A penny for your thoughts Toasted Almond. You can't even buy a Big Mac for 99 cents. Those speakers were just given away. The key to winning in life is to be in the right place at the right time and have the boldness to act. When opportunity knocks, do you say Katie bar the door or...come on in? Don't feel too badly, I still kick myself for having passed up a McIntosh 110B tuner preamp in perfect condition for $75 at an authorized McIntosh service center 25 years ago. And then there are all those baseball cards and comic books from the 50s and early 60s I threw away.

very strange. do you suppose they really went for 99 cents? look at all the bid retractions! Morristown is a short drive for me, too and I guess I missed out, but it looks kind of fishy.

1972, I was a freshman in college. I was perusing the classifieds in the Boston Phoenix weekly, and saw "AR-3 speakers. Mint. $60/pr."

I called the guy, and he said, yup, they're 3's (not 3a's), they look great and they sound great.

I was going to borrow my friend's car, but I was worried that my parents wouldn't approve of the way I was spending my money, so I never went. Still regret it, 35 years later.

Steve F.

On the other hand, sometimes you just get smart and lucky at the same time. Last summer, someone on another site advertised that he had a large number of speakers to get rid of because he wanted to clean out his garage and had no room for them. He had acquired them in various estate sales, he makes money by buying and selling collectable items like furniture and pottery, mostly early 20th century stuff. He wanted only local pickup and no money (I posted this before.) He lived only about 20 or 25 miles from my house. I gave him a nice bottle of wine as a gift. My haul; 2 AR2as, 2 AR2axs, 2 KLH model 6, 3 Empire 9000, 2 EV Wolverine enclosures with one 12" EV 2 way speaker and 2 JBL woofer enclosures. I've had fun with much of it and the rest still awaits. And I have no qualms about re-engineering old equipment to perform in ways that please me according to my own ideas. I've reported on several of these effort since and will be doing more as time goes on. I feel immense gratification getting things I once couldn't afford that nobody now wants and being able to restore them to a condition which brings me enjoyment. Oh by the way, did I mention my 85wpc Pioneer SX 950 receiver I bought for $10 at a garage sale? It looks and works like new. I think America is flooded with great stuff nobody wants anymore that can be had almost for the asking.

Archived