Jump to content

Caps on Crossovers?


Recommended Posts

Ok, with all the fuss I've been reading about replacing caps on older crossovers I have just a few questions to ask:

- What brands are preferred at a reasonable price?

- Are the caps on most crossovers, and more specifically my 48s and 38s crossovers, marked so that replacement is a no-brainer?

- Are wiring diagrams available for this series of ARs?

- Anything else I should know?

- What improvements should I expect?

Not much eh?

If anyone has a relevant link or other advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,


Link to comment
Share on other sites


You're going to get a lot of opinions on this topic... If I may offer mine....

I've had very good luck with Parts Express' "Dayton" brand of metalized polypropylene. They work well and are cheap. A definite best buy....

The Solen brand has a good reputation. I've used these with no problems. More expensive than Daytons.

Try not to succumb to the "gourmet cap. of the week" crowd. There is a lot more hype than valid engineering..... I've been repairing/modifying loudspeakers for many years (as a hobbyist, I'm not in the business) and often am surprised to find what some well respected (and expensive) speaker manufactures use for xover components... They're typically the more inexpensive variety...


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...