AR dual tweeters AR-2 & AR-2A

dynaco_dan

Vern. Are you sure those are tweeters and not the mids?

I've worked on some 2a's and can confirm what you are showing are the midranges which measure about 5 inches. They were the predecessor to the flat and dome mids to follow in later versions. I've got a pair of salvaged flat dome mids from a pair of 2a's.

The AR history table in the library does not show a pair of tweeters for the 2 or 2a. It does list a pair of 5 inch mids for the 2a.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>Vern. Are you sure those are tweeters and not the mids?

>I've worked on some 2a's and can confirm what you are showing

>are the midranges which measure about 5 inches. They were the

>predecessor to the flat and dome mids to follow in later

>versions. I've got a pair of salvaged flat dome mids from a

>pair of 2a's.

>

>The AR history table in the library does not show a pair of

>tweeters for the 2 or 2a. It does list a pair of 5 inch mids

>for the 2a.

>

>

>It's all about the music

>

>Carl

>Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Hi Carl;

These are the AR-2 dual mid/tweeters for lack of a better definition, they span from 1khz and up.

They were also used as AR-2A mid drivers only, as that speaker has also the 1 3/8" tweeter, sometimes referred to as a super tweeter.

Yes, the AR-2AX has the flat front wire meshed cone driver with fiberglass as it's midrange driver. This third party driver was also used as the earlier AR-4, AR-1X, AR-2X mid/tweeter driver.

".....Yes, the AR-2AX has the flat front wire meshed cone driver with fiberglass as it's midrange driver. This third party driver was also used as the earlier AR-4, AR-1X, AR-2X mid/tweeter driver..."

I have a pair of these I'll sell for $30 Plus shipping if anybody wants them.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>Yes, the AR-2AX has the flat front wire meshed cone driver

>with fiberglass as it's midrange driver. This third party

>driver was also used as the earlier AR-4, AR-1X, AR-2X

>mid/tweeter driver.

Vern,

Hate to be a nit-picker, but in the interest of historical accuracy, the tweeter in the 1x was the 2 1/2" tweeter (similar to the 4x), not the 3 1/2" unit from the 4, old 2x and 2ax.

Steve F.

>

>>Yes, the AR-2AX has the flat front wire meshed cone

>driver

>>with fiberglass as it's midrange driver. This third party

>>driver was also used as the earlier AR-4, AR-1X, AR-2X

>>mid/tweeter driver.

>

>

>Vern,

>

>Hate to be a nit-picker, but in the interest of historical

>accuracy, the tweeter in the 1x was the 2 1/2" tweeter

>(similar to the 4x), not the 3 1/2" unit from the 4, old

>2x and 2ax.

>

>Steve F.

Hi Steve;

No problem with wanting historical accuracy, Steve, I may be wrong.

I believe the earliest AR-1X was the older aluminum frame alnico magnet woofer and 3 1/2" tweeter.

I do not have any data as to when the woofer was phased over to the ceramic woofer and when to the 2 1/2" tweeter.

I am positive I've seen photos of a AR-1X with the older woofer and older 3 1/2" tweeter on ebay.

This is the same with the AR-2X but there is also the transitional 10" to 11" adapter used for a period as well, which I own, which has the 2 1/2" tweeter.

Also the aluminum frame 10" with 3 1/3" tweeter, which I own as well.

Or even if the woofers and tweeters were changed over at the same time.

I could be mistaken, Steve, I have been compiling a lot of differences, some small, between several model speakers including AR-LST model variations.

Unless a speaker was announced new from scratch, such as the AR-5, we then knew those drivers and when they were introduced.

The AR-3A used the older woofer at it's introduction, but AR continued to publish their literature for several years with the earliest photos, with the alnico magnet woofer, long after the switch to the ceramic magnet and foam surrounds.

This was not to deceive buyers, but to allow warehouses and dealers to clear out the older stock.

I do not believe there was any special notations on shipping cartons as to the changover.

My own AR-3A cartons have no notations and they were made just around the conversion time period and have the ceramic woofers with foam surrounds, darn.

The dealers must have had more than a few disgruntled customers.

A. Who would want an older model AR-3A if a newer and improved version was out.

B. Mixing older with newer speakers may have cost them a few headaches, if not, at least lot's of letter writing and perhaps money exchanging speakers or drivers.

TomT may have documented driver conversion dates or serial numbers for these models, either the AR-1X or AR-2X's.

I have been wrong before, that is why I carry a pencil with an eraser, for the occasional mistake that I do make.

While this topic is of speakers 40+ years old, there is still a great interest in the facts and these speakers.

Speaks well of the loyalty of it's owners. YEH!

Vern,

I've never seen an AR-1x with the 3 1/2" tweeter. That doesn't mean that the 1x never used that tweeter; it just means I've never seen one.

If you have an ad or an old piece of lit showing the 3 1/2" tweeter in the 1x, I'd love to see it, to expand my historical knowledge of the Classic series.

BTW, as a point of interest: when I inherited my 3a's from my older cousin (he retired in 2001, and wanted to down-size his audio equipment), I took them to AB Tech to be refurbed. They replaced the woofers with Tonegens and upon taking the old ones out, they found that one was a ceramic/foam surround, the other was an Alnico/cloth surround.

My cousin bought them new from a local MA retailer in 1972. All that time, he never knew that he had one of each flavor.

Steve F.

Hi Carl;

You're going to laugh at this.

I've rambled here for almost 3 years and never saw that AR-1 photo before.

I was hoping that TomT would come forward on this topic with a photo of several different versions of AR-1X's. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Or at least with his wisdom, which he always displays.

At least another member with an AR introduction of the AR-1X and AR-2X series speaker would be really great, I am assuming they were publicly announced the same as other models.

AR was very generous, upon request, they would mail you oodles of their product literature.

I've tried finding older photo's and literature about AR, most difficult now considering that it is now 35+ years later, but I continue to look anyways.

Guest matty g

Hi Vern;

What was the impedance on those? I suspect 4 ohms per driver - is that so? Are the ones you just won the plastic housing or the aluminum one (probably very rare at this point).

Another Antique

Matt

Guest matty g

>Hi Matt;

>

>There is no housing with these two.

>

>They are wired in parallel, they must be 16 ohms each.

Hi Vern - I thought the dual drivers were wired in series. Are you refering to the dual mid drivers used in the 2a?

Matt

>>Hi Matt;

>>

>>There is no housing with these two.

>>

>>They are wired in parallel, they must be 16 ohms each.

>

>Hi Vern - I thought the dual drivers were wired in series. Are

>you refering to the dual mid drivers used in the 2a?

>

>Matt

Hi again Matt;

Yes, these are the dual mid/tweeters of the AR-2 and mids only of the AR-2A of which, both speaker systems are 8 ohm rated.

The leads from each are soldered together in parallel just behind the plastic/aluminum enclosure.

• 12 years later...
On 2/8/2007 at 11:48 PM, dynaco_dan said:

Hi Matt;

Do you still have the AR-2A's?

What type music did you use with them?

Less than 15 minutes after I saved the write-up here there was 25 viewers.

Must have caught a few eyes.

Interesting that the AR-2AX's mid driver was also the early AR-4's tweeter that Consumer Report's liked so much, way back in time.

AR picked several third party successful driver blends.

Ā