working on a nice set of AR3's ?

roundhome

I have a pair of AR3's that belong to a freind.

The weird part is that some one bypast the pots and also took out the coil and cap. it still has the 6 and 24 cap with the coil on top but the others are gone. his pots are shot no fix holes in the pickup contacts. does any one know the value of the other coil and does any one have a pair to spair.not worried about the cap. putting in all new ones any way .

Thanks

Jim

>I have a pair of AR3's that belong to a freind.

>The weird part is that some one bypast the pots and also took

>out the coil and cap. it still has the 6 and 24 cap with the

>coil on top but the others are gone. his pots are shot no fix

>holes in the pickup contacts. does any one know the value of

>the other coil and does any one have a pair to spair.not

>worried about the cap. putting in all new ones any way .

>Thanks

>Jim

Hi, Jim!

Don't know how to say this, but I don't think all versions of the AR-3 came from the factory with that cap and coil. When I look at the original xover drawing, it shows a notation dated May 13, 1970 for the ADDITION of that cap and coil.

The original drawing was dated June 12, 1959.

Regards,

Jerry

Jim, I don't know how accurate this is, but one notation I read said that the cap and coil were added to the AR-3 to "protect the mid driver".

I really don’t know, but my guess is the mid driver might get too hot at high volume levels when there is a preponderance of lower mid-range frequencies. That coil will appear as less than 1 ohms resistance under 500Hz while that cap will be over 10 ohms. Net result will be a significant reduction in current flowing through the mid driver for frequencies under 500Hz.

From what I can tell the cap added is 6mF and the coil is 0.42mH

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Jerry

Archived