a question of enclosure

madwing

we are happy listening to our imperfect (bad pots, old caps) 4ax's, and yet i am thinking of how to get some 3a's into our living room to mate up with the sansui 9090 that's due in a couple of weeks.

the only way i can figure it is to put them in the window seat we're planning on building, on either end, under the seat/inside the cabinet.

they will be separated about 12 feet on center, lying on their sides, surrounded on all five sides by solid wood, open to the front blocked only by their grills.

the questions:

1. will doing this completely ruin the speaker's response? if not, what effect might it have?

2. would i want some modicum of space around the speakers, or have them slip fit into the design space?

3. would i want to have them surrounded by solid wood, or perhaps an acoustical dampener like dynamat stuck on the window seat cabinet wood, then put the speakers in?

or am i asking completely nutso questions?

thanks.

madwing

Guest MarkAnderson

>we are happy listening to our imperfect (bad pots, old caps)

>4ax's...

Okay, first of all, fix that. ;-)

As for the 3a's, if you're proposing to install these under a bench seat (basically on the floor, oriented horizontally), you're just not going realize the potential of these speakers. Set 'em up proper and put the 4ax's under the bench.

Guest matty g

madwing -

First off - EXCELLENT choice of amp/receiver to power 3a's. I must tell you from experience, however, that placement is everything. 3a's are a very bass heavy system - that's a good thing for most placement applications. However placing them horizontally on the floor (if I'm understanding your application) will likely result in too much bass response and the wonderful dispersion from the dome drivers will probably disappear into the rug or whatever furniture is in the room. This would be a shame, as that amp and speaker combo is unbeatable.

I do sympathize with your dilema, as many people view the large systems as "cumbersome" or even "unsightly". I, however, view them as highly significant works of art to be cherished, to be seen as well as heard every day. I have my 3a's horizontally on shelves in my living room about 3' from the ceiling where they project beautifully and their walnut cabinets and off white grills reflect their warm beauty.

Frank had a great post about some very good quality speaker stands - another good option. Either way, I'd display them proudly (if you can convince everyone involved with your interior design) because the 3a system should be seen as well as heard.

That's my two cents

Matt

ok, fairplay to you both. thanks.

i guess i was thinking of the old cabinet hi-fi's filled with bozak and jensen drivers, all of which were raised about six inches off the ground.

our room is hardwood floors, there won't be anything directly in front of either speaker, and we have clay plaster/drywall walls. the space is 14 x 22, and is our main room...lots of traffic, etc. the ceilings are cathedral, but i don't know if i have enough room above the window (around which the seat will be built)to place the speakers before the angle starts. maybe i could hang them on the angle? how would that affect things sonic? i would have said "not much", but now, i don't know.

thanks.

madwing

Archived