AR 3 Serial Numbers

Guest violin

The pair of AR 3s that I have show the following Serial Numbers on their labels.C-3575 and C-3287. Can anyone give me an approximate date (yr) that these speakers would have been manufactured?

Thank you very much.

>The pair of AR 3s that I have show the following Serial

>Numbers on their labels.C-3575 and C-3287. Can anyone give me

>an approximate date (yr) that these speakers would have been

>manufactured?

>Thank you very much.

Most likely they were manufactured in mid-to-late 1959. Although the AR-3 was introduced at the fall 1958 New York Music Show, and AR had 500 orders on hand by November 1958, production did not begin on the speaker until the following spring. There were many production problems to be worked out in producing the AR-3, but production was in full swing by the spring of 1959.

--Tom Tyson

Thanks Tom for your response.These speakers were sold as unfinished pine and someone tried to put some awful stain on them which I sanded down to the bare wood.I took them to a professional cabinet maker and he sprayed something on them to seal the pores and then sprayed six coats of colored lacquer on them and they are beautiful. They still have the original grill frames and grill cloth and sound fantastic. I probally am going to have to replace the pots someday.

Thanks again for your reply.

Carter

Archived