"Brown Stuffing" and Potentiometer Corrosion

johnieo

Hi Ken

I have recently removed and cleaned 4 pollak Rheostats from a early/mid seventies AR-3a with fiberglass filling, picture enclosed. I have cleaned the surface with a "glass-brush" meant for cleaning metal surfaces. You can see symmetric corrossion of the center plate per pair of Rheostats corresponding to the settings of the high and midrange dome tweeters. Otherwise they look to be in reasonable good condition. One of the turning metal things had some rust-like red corrosion.

Leedsradio Brooklyn NY has 15 Ohm/25 Watt Rheostats 10 US$

http://www.leedsradio.com/

Best Regards Klaus

post-101646-1161864692.jpg

>Hi Ken

>

>I have recently removed and cleaned 4 pollak Rheostats from a

>early/mid seventies AR-3a with fiberglass filling, picture

>enclosed. I have cleaned the surface with a

>"glass-brush" meant for cleaning metal surfaces. You

>can see symmetric corrossion of the center plate per pair of

>Rheostats corresponding to the settings of the high and

>midrange dome tweeters. Otherwise they look to be in

>reasonable good condition. One of the turning metal things had

>some rust-like red corrosion.

>

>Leedsradio Brooklyn NY has 15 Ohm/25 Watt Rheostats 10 US$

>

>http://www.leedsradio.com/

>

>Best Regards Klaus

Those look cleaned up pretty well and yet there still appears to be severe pitting in the areas circled. I suspect these would still cause problems. Have they?

The severity of the pitting also makes me wonder about the 'plating' others have discussed. This looks to go deeper than plating would go and thus represent permanent distruction of the wiping surface.

IMO, Ohmites are the way to go.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Leeds is almost out of the 15 Ohm/25W rheostats (they are probably Ohmites, but the guy on the phone couldn't quite remember). Better order fast if you want some.

They're closed on Thursdays, for some odd reason.

And one last REALLY cool thing: If you ride your bike to their store in Brooklyn, they give you a free electronic part from their odds and end bin (of your choosing). It's a little far from Dallas, so I passed up that opportunity.

Thanks Klaus,

Those look a LOT better than mine did. The crud was so thick that I was polishing right through the silver plating down to the brass. I will post some pics of my other set when I crack open the other 3a.

Can anyone date my 3a's Ser# 25536&7 ?

Ken

Archived