AR-3 Article in TONE-Audio

ninohernes

Guest groved

Excellent write-up Joe!

Your "tuning" procedure is exactly the technique I have used many times with AR-3, 3a and 5 speakers, especially after an extensive rebuild. I also use pink noise to help set individual driver levels and minimize driver diffraction during speaker positioning.

Well done!

Regards, Doug

Super article, Joe!! Very well done!!

Only thing that I'd add is that the AR-3's were most likely the very FIRST home speaker system that was capable of bi-amp operation.

Way, way, way ... ahead of it's time.

In closing the article was great and the pictures ... well they really complemented the text nicely.

Regards,

Jerry

>Joe, nice job on the AR-3 article! Hmmm... that Oiled-Teak

>AR-3 sure looks familiar!

>

>--Tom Tyson

It is such a great photo of a really nice AR-3. The photos I took really did not come out all that well, so we decided used yours. Also, I really like the oiled teak finish!

Thanks for the great feedback! It means a lot to me and the rest of the TONE staff.

I am thinking about writing an article detailing the restoration of a pair of AR speakers. There are a lot of them out there, and they can be had for relatively little money, and when restored, they can beat a lot of the high end stuff made today. You rarely see Alnico magnet speakers today. I love the way Alnico sounds, some people say that the magnet material does not matter, but I disagree.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late with this, but just got around to reading the article yesterday. Great job Joe, and particularly enjoyable to read your review amidst the flock of reviews of 8, 9 and 10 thousand dollar new speakers.

Hi Joe;

It must be most enjoyable to be right there when you hear live entertainment.

I have only been exposed a few times.

To live entertainers and orchestras.

The AR-3's set a standard to compare all other reproducers to, forever.

I just downloaded issue #6 to read.

Thank you Joe for the great article.

Archived