AR Classic 8 Speaker

gary_wong5

>Hi,

>

>Again refer to my posted message dated Sept 15, anyone can

>help to provide more information? One of my friend told me

>this speaker could be using symmetrical radiation array (SRA)

>system. What is this?

>

>Best rdgs,

>Gary Wong

I saw your photo of the speaker label. Please post another one of the front of the speaker with the grill removed to show all the drivers. Then, maybe we can help you answer the question above.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>Hi,

>

>Again refer to my posted message dated Sept 15, anyone can

>help to provide more information? One of my friend told me

>this speaker could be using symmetrical radiation array (SRA)

>system. What is this?

>

>Best rdgs,

>Gary Wong

Thanks Gary for the extra pics. I suspected you may have had a MTM driver arrangement (mid-tweeter-mid), but that's obviously not the case. It looks like it's a two way with the unusual arrangement of woofer over the tweeter. If you were to stack one speaker on top of the other with the bottom one upside down so the tweeter is on top, you'd have something akin to the MTM that produces a symetrical lobing pattern that may explain your friends reference to SRA. It looks like it's well made. The AR chronolical order list shows the CL8 was produced in the 1993-1994 time frame. At $450, the price also suggests it was a well made speaker for that time. You may have a 'rare bird' here.

Tom Tyson, the classic speaker pages resident AR expert may be able to add something to my speculations above.

In any case, Enjoy!

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying very hard to get the best sound out from these ARs'. But the more I try the more disappointment I would be having... almost wanted to give up already! Except the midrange, the soundstage is pretty poor, musical details are lacking as compared to my PSB Image 4T. Can anyone give me advice to improve these ARs performance?

My system is as such: cdp Marantz CD7300, Nakamichi IA-3 Integrated Amplifier (40 Watt), Audioquest Jade interconnects and Black Rhodium AT150 speaker cable (bi-wire), 20 inches speaker stand. And I thought I shoud use a bigger amplifier to drive my Classic 8, so I use DUAL CV-5670 but there seem no sign of improvement. What is wrong with my system???

Recently I came across some information on AR 303 in Sonic Review (HK) published in 1996. The reviewer said that all ARs should be putting on robust, heavy speaker stand measured 8" to 12" to get the best result without any toe-in or toe-out. Can I try out changing the speaker stand?

Look forward to hear some advice on this regard.

Best regards,

Gary Wong

Archived