Potentiometers for AR4x

Guest stevevdb

Guest stevevdb

hello

I have a pair of AR4x speakers at home and one of them has a potentiometer who is not functional anymore.

Therefore I would like to put in a new one but I can't find any specs about them. Can anyone help me out and give me some details about the potentiometers used in a AR4x? Resistance? Characteristic? Power Rating? Insulating resistance?

Thanks for the information.

Steve

Steve,

You might try this ebay auction: 200024147894

Have you tried taking them apart and cleaning them? They won't last forever, but they can usually be resesitated a few times.

They're easy to open up (the two halves are held together by a spring). I used my dwindling supply of Cramolin Red and Blue to clean and lube them on my 2-ax pots (same pots as the 4x), but Radio Shack Color TV Tuner cleaner/lube worths well too, as do the CAIG Lab products (the successor to Cramolin).

I scrubbed the coils and contacts with #0000 steel wool first, then applied the cleaner, and then the lube. A couple of mine were badly pitted (complete perforation), but they're all working now.

>hello

>I have a pair of AR4x speakers at home and one of them has a

>potentiometer who is not functional anymore.

>

>Therefore I would like to put in a new one but I can't find

>any specs about them. Can anyone help me out and give me some

>details about the potentiometers used in a AR4x? Resistance?

>Characteristic? Power Rating? Insulating resistance?

>

>Thanks for the information.

>

>Steve

I have replacement 15 ohm/25 watt rheostats I can sell to you. You might as well get two to have a pair of similar construction. They are not the original Aetna-Pollak ones. They are much better and of robust construction. They go for $15 ea. which includes shipping.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Steve,

P.M. and Carl both gave good advice, so now what? The ones on ebay, from Vintage AR, are good. I put them in my AR4x's. They come with instructions. BUT--they are not potentiometers. They're L-pads. Some AR purists find the L-pads do not sound the same as potentiometers (I have not noticed). You can also find L-pads on partsexpress.com. Carl sells genuine heavy duty pots. I have not tried them yet but may on my next project. Bear in mind that you will have to fabricate a little box or shield to keep the fiberglass out of the pots, because Carl's Ohmites are open in the back.

It's worth a try to clean your old pots. Steve's instructions are good, and there is a lot on this forum about pot cleaning. I found Dremel tool works well, and you should apply something like dielectic grease or one of the products Steve mentioned to preserve them. Good luck!

Archived