Guest red55

>I am auctioning a set of 4 LST's on ebay. I have posted

>about them once or twice on this forum. I'm getting a cat, so

>the much beloved speakers must go.

>

>find them here

>http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiophile-AR-LST-set-...1QQcmdZViewItem

>

>or search for AR-LST and you'll see them. Auction ends sep.

>14.

>

>find them here

>http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiophile-AR-LST-set-...1QQcmdZViewItem

>

>or search for AR-LST and you'll see them. Auction ends sep.

>14.

9-8-06

Dear LST person, I too, like some, am the proud owner of 4- LST's, which I enjoy to no end.

I'd certainly like to purchase the ones you're offering, but the price is a bit lofty for my wallet at present, however it's always good to accept your offering as a reminder that I am very fortunate to own these great speakers also. As absurd as it may sound, could I interest you in bartering for say a vintage Nikon F2 35mm system with 7 bodies w/motors, 10 lens, 3 light meters, 20 focusing screens, etc, etc, No? Then how about two 1973 Buick Riviera coupes, in 'rattie' condition with extra doors, hood, deck lids, trim, interior parts, etc. etc. No? O.K., how about a original pair of AR-3a's,with a working Dynaco ST120, with a Dyna PAS-3X pre-amp. No? Would a 1971 vintage 'Hofner' Beatle bass, w/case and 1968 Fender Bassman amp with dolly and casters. No? O.K. I got it! All of my photos and history from 18 years old to 1998, including all lovers letters, photos, intimate ramblings on paper and all- can be used to piece together several big audience 'sit-coms' and countless other romantic-comedies for T.V. specials and T.V. serials. Or how about a one year supply of 'Kittie-Litter', let me know.

Respectfully, Frank Marsi

let me get this straight. You already have four and want four more?? yikes! Sadly, none of your suggested barter items quite do the trick, as I plan to use some of the cash for more practical purposes (though the love letters were tempting to be sure). If they don't sell, I will not relist them for cheaper either. More than likely I will put them in a safe place for a bit and then sell them off one pair at a time.

-Arthur

>let me get this straight. You already have four and want

>four more?? yikes! Sadly, none of your suggested barter

>items quite do the trick, as I plan to use some of the cash

>for more practical purposes (though the love letters were

>tempting to be sure). If they don't sell, I will not relist

>them for cheaper either. More than likely I will put them in

>a safe place for a bit and then sell them off one pair at a

>time.

>

>-Arthur

9-9-06

Dear Arthur, I was attempting to be somewhat amusing here with my offers, as some may have found it also attractive. What I am actually attempting is to gather the money elsewhere and perhaps actually give you the cash. I don't want to lead you on though as I'm not certan of my ability to do so. And yes I would love to have four more LST's, I'm completely dedicated to their sound quality abilities. I find it saddening that you are actually wanting to sell though, they're 'tops' in many individual's tastes. Listen to the other posts, they're correct. May I state that if it were me in your situation, I would fight tooth, nail and claws to retain these pieces of audio history.

What you have there are some of the remaining greatest speakers in all of audio history and I can attest as many would to that fact.

Good wishes to you in any event!

Respectfully, Frank Marsi

F.M-P.S. I'll cut your grass for 3 years in a row, use my own bags for clippings and gas too. Maybe the inside of you house could use some paint?

Basement cleaning, I'll think of something you just wait, I'll get those four LSTs and fairly too. PMsummer is correct, I too would never sell anything this valuable, especially from a father or grandfather.

There have I made you feel nice and quilty? Make us both happy, but them in your 'will' for me and it'll make both families happy and I'll throw in the grass cutting at no charge. And get this, I'll visit your 'plot' for one year post inturnment and provide a similance of an LST floral arrangment,gee,you deserve it if I get those speakers!

FM

>

If you currently own (only) four LSTs, here is the real value of owning eight AR-LSTs:

*Stereo Review’s* “Audio News Views and Comments” Technical Editor, Larry Klein, an extremely knowledgeable audio technical writer for that magazine back in the 1960s and 1970s, wrote a piece in *SR* “Audio News Views and Comments” section on Acoustic Research’s four-channel “quadraphonic” project being conducted during that time. Larry Klein, always an AR fan, felt the four-channel work was the best reproduction he had heard up to that time. AR’s four-channel project later morphed into a multi-channel effort with much research work done by several very bright AR engineers, among them Robert Berkovitz.

At about the same time another pioneer in multi-channel recordings, Mitchell Cotter, began demonstrating some astonishing analog four-channel reel-to-reel tape recordings that were later marketed for a short time under the label Ambiphon Records or Sonar Records. These recordings were available also in stereo-only as 15 ips, 2-channel second-generation tapes. I owned several of them, and they were, by far, the highest-fidelity source of music I had for quite a number of years prior to the 1983 introduction of the compact disc. Larry Klein was invited to hear a very impressive four-channel audio demonstration done by Mitchell Cotter that consisted of eight AR-LSTs, two stacked in each corner, driven by four Phase Linear 400 power amplifiers.

This is what Larry Klein said when he heard this setup:

“Picture a large, slightly bright listening room with a pair of LST-1s stacked near each of the four corners, each of the eight speakers being driven by one channel of four Phase Linear 400 power amplifiers. With the master tape running in and my ear pressed practically against a grille cloth, there is *nothing* to be heard. Then the pianist hits the opening cords of Prokofiev’s Toccata, Opus 11, and it’s *real!* You would swear that the artist, Natalie Ryshna, is seated at her Bechstein concert grand located *right there!* The dynamics, the acoustics -- everything -- were as close to perfect reality as any recording I have ever heard.”

--Tom Tyson

9-9-06

Wow, T.T. responds!

O.K. I have the four Phase Linear 400 amps ready and somewhat on-line. I have two Phase Linear 4000’s at my begonning call. I have the 4 AR-LST’s (but need some work, 2 days at most with four men working) prepared with spare tweeters and woofers. Now would you or someone of your stature please tell the seller of the four more available LST’s to give me the opportunity to do what you’re suggesting here? I’m all for it, duh, why wouldn’t I be? Who out there isn’t? What you're talking about here is ultimately speaking, the last word for AR. Please make needed donations to "Frank Marsi" directly, he will not let down.

I’m all energized and willing to make another vintage AR speaker statement here for all the world to see and hear. "But wait, what do I see?". How about four Phase Linear 400’s with eight AR-LST’s stacked? That’s it I’ve lost my mind.

Please come to see me at the local psycho-ward. I may not have the actual speakers with me there, but if the drugs are good that day, I will have the stories to tell.

Frank Marsi- (a sorry and pitiful and addicted AR fan).

P.S. Monday Sept 11,2006, I’ll still have to travel below the ‘Trade- Towers’ remains by subway and later sit in an office less than 200 hundred feet from the grand “Empire State Building”, for some, the next possible logical ‘terrorist’s -choice’. If all goes well that day I’ll come home to my four LST’s and rejoice in all the great things that were done in this country before it went and found ‘itself’ opened to the rest of the world seeming forced to turn to thoughts of fear and destruction caused by the lesser abilities of the world around us. Close the doors and just listen to your AR’s while you still have the fleeting chance! Oh my am I in a music listening mood right now,music propels my good feelings of life, so, “Excuse me while I kiss the sky!”. Oh yeah I do have a two-track Revox A77, the last version.

Frank Marsi

Guest Eunomians

> I'm getting a cat, so

I'm lucky that our 2 cats, siblings who are half feral, somehow could care less about speaker grills... I am one of the luckiest cat owners!

I wish I had endless resources as I would love to own your 2 pairs of LSTs. To me, they are the Holy Grail of speakers, along with the AR9s.

One day, my friends, one day...

Cheers and best of luck with your auction, I am sure that the final outcome will be extraordinary.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

>>I am auctioning a set of 4 LST's on ebay. I have posted

>>about them once or twice on this forum. I'm getting a

>cat, so

>>the much beloved speakers must go.

>>

>

>If you currently own (only) four LSTs, here is the real value

>of owning eight AR-LSTs:

>

>*Stereo Review’s* “Audio News Views and Comments” Technical

>Editor, Larry Klein, an extremely knowledgeable audio

>technical writer for that magazine back in the 1960s and

>1970s, wrote a piece in *SR* “Audio News Views and Comments”

>section on Acoustic Research’s four-channel “quadraphonic”

>project being conducted during that time. Larry Klein, always

>an AR fan, felt the four-channel work was the best

>reproduction he had heard up to that time. AR’s four-channel

>project later morphed into a multi-channel effort with much

>research work done by several very bright AR engineers, among

>them Robert Berkovitz.

>

>At about the same time another pioneer in multi-channel

>recordings, Mitchell Cotter, began demonstrating some

>astonishing analog four-channel reel-to-reel tape recordings

>that were later marketed for a short time under the label

>Ambiphon Records or Sonar Records. These recordings were

>available also in stereo-only as 15 ips, 2-channel

>second-generation tapes. I owned several of them, and they

>were, by far, the highest-fidelity source of music I had for

>quite a number of years prior to the 1983 introduction of the

>compact disc. Larry Klein was invited to hear a very

>impressive four-channel audio demonstration done by Mitchell

>Cotter that consisted of eight AR-LSTs, two stacked in each

>corner, driven by four Phase Linear 400 power amplifiers.

>

>This is what Larry Klein said when he heard this setup:

>

>“Picture a large, slightly bright listening room with a pair

>of LST-1s stacked near each of the four corners, each of the

>eight speakers being driven by one channel of four Phase

>Linear 400 power amplifiers. With the master tape running in

>and my ear pressed practically against a grille cloth, there

>is *nothing* to be heard. Then the pianist hits the opening

>cords of Prokofiev’s Toccata, Opus 11, and it’s *real!* You

>would swear that the artist, Natalie Ryshna, is seated at her

>Bechstein concert grand located *right there!* The dynamics,

>the acoustics -- everything -- were as close to perfect

>reality as any recording I have ever heard.”

>

>--Tom Tyson

>

Hello Tom is it possable to find out more about this like the recordings used

i'm trying to set this up to listed to it.

Jim

Archived