A new home for barn sale AR-2Ax speakers (longish)

Guest Rod H.

Guest Rod H.

Thirtyfive years ago I wanted AR speakers something fierce, and last week I finally got a pair. I was at a barn sale and bought a pair of AR-2Axs and a small Rotel receiver for $5. The receiver was marked at $2, so the speakers cost $3.

The cabinets were pretty rough on the ARs, but the drivers all worked and the grilles intact. The potentiometers were shot and the cloth surrounds on the woofers were very pourous. I bypassed the pots with the thought that I could always go back in later and change that. When I reinstalled the woofers I tested them for seal, and the cones returned in about half a second or less which I figured was pretty bad. Digging through our supply of various glues and compounds I found what seemed to be an ideal solution...a bottle of Aleen's flexible/ stretchable fabric glue. I thinned it with a tiny amount of water to a brushable consistency...this takes only a very tiny amount of water as it's already pretty thin. With a small brush it was very easy to apply to the surrounds very thinly and evenly. I let it tack up, then did the push test. The woofers passed with flying colors. It took about three seconds for them to return about 90% of the way "home".

I brought the speakers into the house and listened for a while. They are very respectable speakers, though the mids seemed a little hot to me with no padding. Then reality set in. I have too many speakers already, so I took them over to a neighbor who has a big house and likes vintage equipment. As we chatted his son hooked them up...and they were quite happy to take them off my hands. As it worked out the non-padded mids sound fine in their place due to some overstuffed furniture and less than optimum placement.

My wife was at a first aid/CPR refresher class, so I was invited to a BBQed steelhead dinner to boot!

So after one week and just a few posts I'm no longer an AR owner. This is a great site, and I appreciate all the info which was a great help.

Rod

Guest Rod H.

Dare I say, I'm really happy with my Maggies this last 18 months, which have been kind of like the finding the Holy Grail after 30 years.

However....you never know. There could be a set of AR-9s out there with my name on them!

Rod

There's a pair of AR-9's right here, but they don't have your name on them.

That was exceptionally nice of you to pass those onto the young man. If you lusted for a pair 35 years ago then we aren't too far apart in age. The new generation needs to be kept aware of these great speakers. A tip of the hat to you Rod H.

Archived