What should I use to clean my AR98L's, tweets especially!

Guest azdurain

Guest azdurain

Sorry, I should've been more specific. They've just been sitting untouched in a house for awhile and have a layer of dust and hair stuck to the speakers. Otherwise they're in pretty good shape, with the exception of a few scratches on the wood, so I wanted to make sure that I don't harm them in any way. I'm really just getting into some vintage stereo equipment and I already appreciate the sound and quality of these AR98LS's.

Thanks!

When I'm cleaning old equipment, I always use one of those micro vacuum attachment sets available from computer stores. You can get one from Cuberguys for about $13 shipped. They come with two different brushes and several extensions as well as the adapter for using your regular vacuum. I vacuum everything I can reach and use Dust-Off for the rest. I have equipment ranging between new and twenty years old and you can't tell the difference (unless you know what you're looking at).

Good luck,

Cliff

>I'm really just getting into some vintage stereo equipment and I already appreciate the sound and quality of these AR98LS's. <

Your description makes me a little frightened to suggest a method. I'd be perfectly comfortable using one of those disposable duster cloths or maybe a *very careful* and *extremely gentle* touching with the sticky side of some masking tape wrapped around my fingers; sticky-side-out.

I delude myself into believing that I know how hard of a touch is "too hard."

If you've just resurrected these from long-term storage, you have checked the woofer surrounds, yes?

And then there is an issue that we've absolutely worn-out around here: The capacitors. They are old. They are out of spec. They are very likely in very bad shape. (surprisingly, much older capacitors of different manufacture seem to out-live the ones that are probably in your 98s)

If the capacitors are going-bad, they have almost certainly risen in capacitance. That has the effect of lowering crossover frequencies. That has the effect of putting more power through your tweeters and upper midrange drivers than was ever intended. That has the effect of ruining the drivers.

The tweeter and upper midrange drivers are (from any practical perspective) irreplaceable and they cannot be repaired. They are even rare on the used market, usually expensive when they are available, and you never know what you are buying until you've bought it.

So, while the capacitor issue "sounds" picky and obsessive, it really isn't. It's insurance for the smaller drivers.

Now the choice of materials for the capacitors you would use to replace the originals???? THAT discussion can get downright weird. I suggest you use the "SEARCH" function and spend a while reading the fireworks.

Happy listening. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Bret

Archived