AR 10Pi woofer vs. AR 3a woofer

Guest Americain

Guest Americain

Last year I re-foamed the woofers on my AR 3a's and now wish to do the same for a pair of AR 10Pi's that I will be receiving soon. Are the woofers the same basic design and size? It's been years since I've seen the 10Pi's so I need to know if the woofers are the 11 inch models used in the 3a. Any thoughts?

>Last year I re-foamed the woofers on my AR 3a's and now wish

>to do the same for a pair of AR 10Pi's that I will be

>receiving soon. Are the woofers the same basic design and

>size? It's been years since I've seen the 10Pi's so I need to

>know if the woofers are the 11 inch models used in the 3a. Any

>thoughts?

They are almost exactly the same, except, I, as most lovers prefer the

1971 thru the 1975 versions,after that AR went, I don’t know where. Early seventies just seem to have a more robust ‘bottom-end’, and just flat-out better bass in terms of those who appreciate and love bass as I do. I've been told woofers before that are even better, but they're maybe too far back for modern times of collector ease of use and repair.

I had a friend who bought AR-11’s in 1977or 78, I don’t recall. When we did ‘head to head’ comparisons I always felt my woofers (1972 AR-3a’s) had much more ‘slam’ and better extreme lower end. Yes, fine , AR-11’s sounded maybe a bit ‘faster’, but not better and certainly they sounded some what ‘lighter’, although I still would have bought them at the time.The AR-10's had more 'electronics' and may have 'taxed' the woofer even more, but certainly more 'lusted' for, though it may be said their cross-over controls emulated the LST's.

Frank Marsi

Guest Americain

Thanks Frank. I just needed to be sure that the woofers can use the same re-foaming kit as the 3a's. The A-B comparison you did must have been interesting and eventually I'll be able to reproduce that here myself. Thanks again.

Thom

Archived