AR1 What is so good about 755A ?

Guest zappa

Guest zappa

hello why all the hype of the 755a full range? its a small looking speaker..whats so special about it besides being made by western electric or altec? the prices ive seen are ridiculous...can the sound really justify the price? to me if i would have to pay that price it must blow away everything on the planet..can it really do this?

i thought the ls3/5as were ridiculous in price..these are even more astronomical considering the almost 60 year old age tag on them..please someone open my eyes to the truth...what are the ultimate speakers worth 2500 dollars or just as good but with reasonable prices?

thank you

>hello why all the hype of the 755a full range? its a small

>looking speaker..whats so special about it besides being made

>by western electric or altec? the prices ive seen are

>ridiculous...can the sound really justify the price? to me if

>i would have to pay that price it must blow away everything on

>the planet..can it really do this?

>i thought the ls3/5as were ridiculous in price..these are even

>more astronomical considering the almost 60 year old age tag

>on them..please someone open my eyes to the truth...what are

>the ultimate speakers worth 2500 dollars or just as good but

>with reasonable prices?

>thank you

Hi there;

An interesting question why it has such a value, considering it has limited high frequencies, power handling capabilities and dispersion.

There is 2 Altec 755C tweeters on ebay #160008442406 for a 3 day worldwide listed auction.

I am not 100% positive that this is the exact version that AR used in the AR-1.

If it is, then they should maybe go for around $2000.00+ for the pair.

Usually there is more close-up photos of the labels, and inspectors stamps.

We shall see.

According to Henry Kloss it was the best speaker available for handling high frequencies, even better then the bozak tweeter of the day. It actually was a designed as a full range driver. AR rolled off the lows and took advantage of the highs when using it in the AR-1.

That being said...it was not all that amazing a speaker when compared to the dome tweeters which AR introduced in 1958. Today's prices being paid for the 755A is the old passion to collect and the supply & demand ratio, folks with money really like them and there are only so many out there. It's just like old cars, coins,Etc. Even console radio's can go for a small fortune...someone just paid $52,000 for a 1937 Zenith Z1000 console radio! Me...I'm happy with my early AR-1W I paid $95. for

Hi,

Use the Search feature on the Forum first page and search for

< 755a > and read the replies to "AR1's with the grill off. Altec speaker".

Some people may have an update, but this should get you started.

Another Forum member chased up some details a while ago and included the following. Unfortunately I can't find the post quickly.

Many thanks to that contributor.

http://members.myactv.net/~je245/755survey.htm

Another article the member refered to was a "Homebrewer"'s magazine by Joseph Esmilla of Suburban Maryland it had a preview article from "Sound Practices 1999 Audio Yearbook • www.soundpractices.com."

Hope this helps

1420.pdf

Archived