AR3a & AR4x, 4 and 8 ohm speakers together safe?

Guest Eunomians

Guest Eunomians

Well I thought about pairing my AR3a's with AR4's with my Sansui 9090 (non-DB model) in the A+B setting, but 4 & 8 ohms? Mmmmm.

I also wanted to set a Halfer-type circuit á la Dynaco Quadaptor with the AR3a's and Dynaco A-25's, again, 4 & 8 ohms together.

Would these be safe options with the Sansui 9090?

If not, then how the heck did folks pair up other AR speakers with the TOTL AR3a? Most amplifiers seem to be parallel not series wired! Makes no sense!

-Cheers

Guest SherwoodFool

Hi,

You know I never thought of that.I have every Sherwood with Dynaquad & a Dyna SCA-80Q and The only combination with mixed impedance that I can remember was Sony XBR Breadboxes(4ohms)with Polk LF-14passive sub(6ohms} as Fronts & AR-2ax(8ohms) as Backs. With Sherwood S-7300(52wtsch), worked well. I just tried AR-2ax's(Fronts) with some tiny 4 ohm AudioSource LS-135's on Sherwood 7200(32wts/ch) with Stuff "Live in New York" because I know the club(Mikell's) when Stuff was the house band. Sounds good to me. I can still hear me yelling in the background. That's how I use to judge "ambience retrieval".

What are you trying to do? There a better solutions nowadays.

Regards,

Russ(SherwoodFool)

Guest Eunomians

Well, first off, I would like to use Dynaco A-25's and then AR4x's with my AR3a's.

Again, 4 & 8 ohms together with the Sansui 9090.

These 2 setups are what I would like to do:

-Sansui 9090 in A+B mode with AR3a's playing in A and Dynaco A-25 playing in B.

-Sansui 9090 in C mode with Dynaco Quadaptor with AR3a and AR4x.

By the way, here are the specs of the 9090:

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/9090.html

The 9090 was a great receiver, but you might think twice before paralleling the ultra-low impedance AR-3a with the AR-4X. That 4 ohm resistance rating is merely nominal, and the combined resistance will be *very* low.

The Hafler/Dynaquad circuit was an effective ambience-retrieval technique, but suffered from its "brute-force" execution through the amplifier outputs. A more effective approach would be at line levels, using sum/difference circuitry - Audio Amateur magazine featured & sold the Super QuadPod both as a kit and as simple plans - the device employed a few operational amplifiers and some passive components, and ran on a simple 12 volt DC supply. The effects were dramatic, and this approach never endangered an amplifier. The circuit could source from an amp or preamp's tape output, and feed the difference signal to a second amplifier, with no negative effect on the primary amp.

Try Googling "Blumlein", Quadpod, sum-difference, etc., and you'll most likely find some good starting points.

Guest SherwoodFool

If I am not mistaken,the Quadapter takes speaker wire(L&R) and has outs for 2front & 2back speakers which you would have to do twice or hook up an really elaborate A/B Switch with your big AR's on a common terminal. I don't think you want to do that. That was the reason that I got the Sherwoods in the 1st place & even when they went to "monster receivers" S-110(like your Sansui),they only used A+B(DynaQuad was now called ARS).

Once I heard the original Yamaha DSP, which, BTW, nobody could afford, I forgot DynaQuad. I can afford them now. I now have various venues that no longer exist(eg.Village Gate) and/or I can't get to anymore(eg. Concertgebeuiw). Even the worst "Hall" in Walmart 5.1 systems is better than DynaQuad. Used add-on's cost twenty bucks and you get the original Dolby ProLogic which is so close to DynaQuad that somebody put up Quadapters as 5.1 decoders. Anyway, IMHO, you won't kill your amp or speakers if you hook them separately with 2 Quadapters playing them singly but you will have enough speaker wire spread around to reach the moon.

Good luck!!

Russ(SherwoodFool)

Guest Eunomians

Thanks for the information.

I wonder though, would it not be too wise to hook up 1 Quadaptor to A terminal with AR3a and AR4x connected to the Quadaptor? Again, the issue of 4 & 8 ohms together?

Cheers :)

Guest SherwoodFool

Caveat Emptor!!

Me playing w tiny 4ohm speaker just to see is not same as risking AR-3a's. As with your other previous reply(not me), I wouldn't do it period.

If you are like most people in this forum, you certainly have enough amps to piddle with. Remember that Ambience Retrieval only works with "live recordings" in a particular place & you have know what the place sounds like.When I was younger there were 4 classical stations & 3 jazz stations in my area & they all gave live broadcasts(DynaQuad ruled; Sherwood always had better tuners).Remember simulcasts?I am convinced that the original 4ch died because studios produced singers(or clarinets) that danced around the room. To this day I go to the Opera preferably K.Battle w the tits or concert like James Taylor to hear what an unamped instrument or voice sounds like. The only studio recordings that made an impression on me (w DynaQuad) were S. Wonder's "Songs in The Key of Life", Sgt. Pepper,The 1st Sly Stone & Solti Mahler and I have them in all formats(vinyl,CD,tape). But the movies broke it. For me it was "Amadeus" & "Star Wars". Thats why I am into Yamahas now.

Happy listening & to all a GoodNight!!

SherwoodFool

>Well I thought about pairing my AR3a's with AR4's with my

>Sansui 9090 (non-DB model) in the A+B setting, but 4 & 8

>ohms? Mmmmm.

>

>I also wanted to set a Halfer-type circuit á la Dynaco

>Quadaptor with the AR3a's and Dynaco A-25's, again, 4 & 8

>ohms together.

>

>Would these be safe options with the Sansui 9090?

>

>If not, then how the heck did folks pair up other AR speakers

>with the TOTL AR3a? Most amplifiers seem to be parallel not

>series wired! Makes no sense!

>

>-Cheers

Hi there;

If you want to try a, "psuedo-Quadapter", go ahead.

It will cost you a wire-wound resistor, or a pot, a simple spst switch and a little time only.

I am assuming that you already have the rear speakers and the cables to go with them.

You run all of the speaker cables to the rear of your amplifier as usual.

You should always try to fuse your investments.

I will, if you want, provide the written instructions for you, later for you to connect them up.

You only need a stereo amplifier to use this method, BUT, it should NOT be used with an amplifier that you can, also at the same time, switch to an additional load, A+B for example.

This would be an accident waiting to happen.

The speaker switch will allow you to switch it in and out of the circuit at your whim, to determine whether you like the effect or not.

The Quadapter was developed when LP records were popular, so the value with cd's and FM will be determined by you.

This is not quite as convenient as a Quadapter and it lacks a rear channel adjustment.

I can also include a pot for rear level adjustment.

The Quadapter was designed for the 8 ohm Dynaco Aperiodic speaker series, very smooth impedance, of speakers.

As far as impedance goes, unless you are running test tones such as sine waves and also blasting don't be concerned with impedance mis-match with the 4 and 8 ohm speakers.

The AR-3A for example, is rated at 4 ohms impedance at 1khz and starts off at the low end at around 35+ ohms and up around 10khz is 2 - 3 ohms.

Dynaco sold at least one Dyna-Quad sampler LP, which I bought.

Dynaco did, at that time suggest a few select LP's that contained some hidden detail, or ambience.

I am really excited and looking forward to receiving a specially recorded cd from a member, to try with this type system.

Good luck.

As Carl say's, "it's all about the music".

Guest SherwoodFool

>>Well I thought about pairing my AR3a's with AR4's with

>my

>>Sansui 9090 (non-DB model) in the A+B setting, but 4 &

>8

>>ohms? Mmmmm.

>>

>>I also wanted to set a Halfer-type circuit á la Dynaco

>>Quadaptor with the AR3a's and Dynaco A-25's, again, 4

>& 8

>>ohms together.

>>

>>Would these be safe options with the Sansui 9090?

>>

>>If not, then how the heck did folks pair up other AR

>speakers

>>with the TOTL AR3a? Most amplifiers seem to be parallel

>not

>>series wired! Makes no sense!

>>

>>-Cheers

>

>Hi there;

>

>If you want to try a, "psuedo-Quadapter", go ahead.

>

>It will cost you a wire-wound resistor, or a pot, a simple

>spst switch and a little time only.

>

>I am assuming that you already have the rear speakers and the

>cables to go with them.

>

>You run all of the speaker cables to the rear of your

>amplifier as usual.

>

>You should always try to fuse your investments.

>

>I will, if you want, provide the written instructions for you,

>later for you to connect them up.

>

>You only need a stereo amplifier to use this method, BUT, it

>should NOT be used with an amplifier that you can, also at the

>same time, switch to an additional load, A+B for example.

>

>This would be an accident waiting to happen.

>

>The speaker switch will allow you to switch it in and out of

>the circuit at your whim, to determine whether you like the

>effect or not.

>

>The Quadapter was developed when LP records were popular, so

>the value with cd's and FM will be determined by you.

>

>This is not quite as convenient as a Quadapter and it lacks a

>rear channel adjustment.

>

>I can also include a pot for rear level adjustment.

>

>The Quadapter was designed for the 8 ohm Dynaco Aperiodic

>speaker series, very smooth impedance, of speakers.

>

>As far as impedance goes, unless you are running test tones

>such as sine waves and also blasting don't be concerned with

>impedance mis-match with the 4 and 8 ohm speakers.

>

>The AR-3A for example, is rated at 4 ohms impedance at 1khz

>and starts off at the low end at around 35+ ohms and up around

>10khz is 2 - 3 ohms.

>

>Dynaco sold at least one Dyna-Quad sampler LP, which I

>bought.

>

>Dynaco did, at that time suggest a few select LP's that

>contained some hidden detail, or ambience.

>

>I am really excited and looking forward to receiving a

>specially recorded cd from a member, to try with this type

>system.

>

>Good luck.

>

>As Carl say's, "it's all about the music".

Vern,

Why don't you post the diagram & I remember that record. In fact, when I was grad school in Jersey, one of our guys found Blackwood NJ & bought it(and so he says met Hafler).

BTW, why isn't there a Dyna forum? or for that matter Ohm(yes, I'm from B'klyn) which is probably one of the few intact speaker companies left. Are they just too south of Boston?

Regards,

-Russ(SherwoodFool)

>>>Well I thought about pairing my AR3a's with AR4's

>with

>>my

>>>Sansui 9090 (non-DB model) in the A+B setting, but 4

>&

>>8

>>>ohms? Mmmmm.

>>>

>>>I also wanted to set a Halfer-type circuit á la

>Dynaco

>>>Quadaptor with the AR3a's and Dynaco A-25's, again, 4

>>& 8

>>>ohms together.

>>>

>>>Would these be safe options with the Sansui 9090?

>

>Vern,

> Why don't you post the diagram & I remember that record.

>In fact, when I was grad school in Jersey, one of our guys

>found Blackwood NJ & bought it(and so he says met

>Hafler).

>

>BTW, why isn't there a Dyna forum? or for that matter Ohm(yes,

>I'm from B'klyn) which is probably one of the few intact

>speaker companies left. Are they just too south of Boston?

>

>Regards,

>-Russ(SherwoodFool)

>

Hi Russ;

We do have a Dynaco forum here, just below the AR forum, about 6 forums down.

I'm not that familiar with the Ohm Acoustics brand.

The topic here was adding two rear speakers and the Quadapter popped up as an option.

Threads suggested Quad-pod, etc.

If we could cut and paste this whole topic to Dynaco it would need a Quadapter heading, maybe.

I was just trying to keep the continuity.

I'll have to check out copyright before any drawings can be posted here.

Guest Eunomians

Good news, I actually just bought a Dynaco Quadaptor today. It will take me a little time to get it set up and such, but I will post a review. I am planning on trying out the AR3a's with AR4x's, then AR3a + Dynaco A-25, further down the road, I will try A25's + A10s.

I will be purchasing a speaker switch box very shortly to run these configurations as a precaution.

Cheers!

Archived