AR3a & Sansui G-9000DB a good match?

Guest Eunomians

Guest Eunomians

I was wondering if my AR3a's would be a good match with a Sansui G-9000DB that I have been eyeing. Yes, I am afraid to blow up my AR3a's - this is the reason for me asking, since right now I've got 'em hooked up to a modest Philips TR-900 Series reveiver. Would the G-9000DB be a good choice? Too much power? I'd like to crank up the AR3a's (but obviously not play 'em at Ted Nugent levels).

Cheers

>I was wondering if my AR3a's would be a good match with a

>Sansui G-9000DB that I have been eyeing. Yes, I am afraid to

>blow up my AR3a's - this is the reason for me asking, since

>right now I've got 'em hooked up to a modest Philips TR-900

>Series reveiver. Would the G-9000DB be a good choice? Too

>much power? I'd like to crank up the AR3a's (but obviously

>not play 'em at Ted Nugent levels).

>

>Cheers

Hi there;

What are the spec's for the amplifier you've been eyeing?

We will need to know the maximum output at 2 - 40 ohms 20 - 20,000 hz.

Usually 4, 8 and 16 ohms are specified.

Consider using fuses, irregardless, of the amps output.

You would probaby do more damage with a 25 watt per channel amp than not.

If you find that you are running at 60% volume or much more consider fusing.

Your drivers are worth much more than a two bit fuse.

Good luck.

Guest Eunomians

Ahh yes, I do indeed need to fuse the speakers. This is my next mini project...

Here is more detailed info regarding the Sansui G-9000DB:

Power Output: Min. RMS, both channels driven, from 20 to 20,000 Hz, with no more than 0.03% total harmonic distortion 160 watts per channel into 8 ohms 160 watts per channel into 4 ohms

Load Impedance: 4 and 8 ohms

Total Harmonistic Distortion (power amp in): less than 0.03% at or below rated min. RMS power output

Intermodulation Distortion (70Hz : 7kHz = 4:1 SMPTE method): less than 0.03% at or below rate min. RMS power output

Frequency Response (at 1 watt): OVERALL 5 to 50,000HZ +0.2db - 1.5db, Power amp in DC to 200kHz, +0db, -3.0db

Damping Factor 20Hz to 20kHz, both channel driven): 60 into 8 ohms

Thanks!

>I was wondering if my AR3a's would be a good match with a

>Sansui G-9000DB that I have been eyeing. Yes, I am afraid to

>blow up my AR3a's - this is the reason for me asking, since

>right now I've got 'em hooked up to a modest Philips TR-900

>Series reveiver. Would the G-9000DB be a good choice? Too

>much power? I'd like to crank up the AR3a's (but obviously

>not play 'em at Ted Nugent levels).

>

>Cheers

Eunomions, the AR-3a can handle a lot more power than the Sansui G-9000DB can provide, so fear not that you might have *too* much power and will "blow up" your AR-3as. You will "clip" and distort the G-9000DB's output long before the AR-3a "gives up," on normal musical program material, but "power-handling" capability is a confusing term.

For example, you could take a 12-watt amplifier and do serious damage to the AR-3a if you were doing sine-wave testing or if you playing music with excessive high-frequency content. A clipping 12-watt amplifier will "blow up" an AR-3a's 3/4-inch tweeter pretty quickly. Yet, when playing "normal" acoustic music -- such as classical or jazz -- you are unlikely to damage these speakers at any *normal* listening level -- even with high-powered amplifiers. I used my pair of AR-3as in a large room with a McIntosh MC2500 for several years, and ocassionally I saw peaks of 200-300 watts, the sound was clean and I never once burned out a tweeter or "blew a woofer." The music was usually classical or jazz, and that makes a difference. On the other hand, if you like to "crank them up," you might want to get a set of horn speakers or pro speakers that are designed to be played at very high levels -- this way you could stop worrying about damaging the speakers and concentrate on saving your hearing.

On the other hand, lightning will damage an AR-3a:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1381.jpg

AR-3a struck by lightning. Fire developed in fiberglass.

--Tom Tyson

Guest Eunomians

I am most intrigued with the AR3a lightning fodder!

Thank you for the replies. I am happy to hear the good news regarding real-life power handling. I am not one to crank volumes up to late 70s summertime Uptown Harlem DJ block parties in the park type-levels, but I am glad to know that I can, in essence, if so inclined. 80% of the time it is jazz that bumps via my AR3a's anyhow.

Best regards

Archived