Dating AR3a's

Guest Eunomians

Guest Eunomians

Well, after lurking here for quite some time... I turn to you guys for a little help in dating my AR3a's. Suddenly I have been struck with a desire to know just how old they are!

102917 & 102913

CHEERS

Guest russwollman

If you have to ask how old they are before you date them, you could be on very thin ice.

Do not be seen with them in public, especially in the vicinity of law enforcement personnel.

I have never dated a loudspeaker, but I do like a number of them—and some I like very much, but not that much. ;-)

Please forgive me. I am recovering from an overdose of news.

Guest soundlove

Hi-AR3a-number is 3a-33051 -no date -just signature of inspection.I

Haw only one AR3a,About 8years ago Idid look in local Buy&sell paper.-=for sale AR speakers.I knew about AR speakers from past ,but I( did not know how good they are .Never had any before. I Had dynaco -A25/A50/ ,Altec -Santana , klipsch La scala& also Cornwall.

Arrive at his house .Nice old guy said speakers are in the corner in basement.My wife bought black stereo stand -she wants black speakers. She bought black cheep Sony semi -plastic speaker boxes .Each SONY speaker was about 7lbs.AR3a & AR-5.Excellent condition beautiful yellow birch color. -grill in perfect shape.He said -I will tell you story.This is in Canada. Old guy said-In my younger days I went to USA returning back to Canada.Stop at stereo shop.He wanted to buy pair of AR3a. Salesman told him young man you don't have enough$$ for pair of AR3a.- I will sell you 1)AR3a and 1) AR-5. Both are same birch color excellent shape.I was eager to grab them and run before old guy would change his mind-price was pretty good. Brought speakers home and I had Marantz 2275 . IThought there is something wrong with speakers.Sound was very crisp precise excellent Compare to my Klipsch Cornwall -bright sound.Since that day I was hunting for another AR3a .to make a pair!!Did not find any AR3a,End up with pair of AR3 improved, and 2 pair of AR-11.s/In my computer room I listen toAR-11 with BOSE Spatial receiver-90w per side. In my bedroom I listen AR3 improved-NAD receiver. I don't like that receiver much -But it has Remote to adjust volume&shut down.Second pair of AR-11 is in my storage in case of emergency.Also I have Marantz 2325-stand by.-2275 & 2270&140 amp &pre amp +BOSE Receiver -Stereo light is burn out.It is hard to get to it .it is buried on bottom of receiver.I guess Iam O.k set for life!!I enjoy this forum also some of your hunting story to find Hi end stereo stuff..Iam trying to learn and appreciate old gear .The new type speakers bothering my hearing. Soundlov

>Well, after lurking here for quite some time... I turn to

>you guys for a little help in dating my AR3a's. Suddenly I

>have been struck with a desire to know just how old they are!

>

>102917 & 102913

>

>CHEERS

Have you looked inside your cabinet walls or checked the backside of the woofer, mid and tweeter magnets? I have found in many cases, AR stamped a date in either of those locations. It should be pretty close to the date of actual assembly of the loudspeaker.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>If you have to ask how old they are before you date them, you

>could be on very thin ice.

>Do not be seen with them in public, especially in the vicinity

>of law enforcement personnel.

>I have never dated a loudspeaker, but I do like a number of

>them—and some I like very much, but not that much. ;-)

>

>Please forgive me. I am recovering from an overdose of news.

>

I did a doubletake on this at first but eventually saw the humor. Nice post. It's good to see some humor injected into the this site's posts from time to time. In general, things are pretty serious here.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>If you have to ask how old they are before you date them, you could be on very thin ice.<

If it wears a 3a badge, it's either okay, or its entrapment. I've never dated a 3a and probably never will. It's medical paranoia. The 3-way crossover is a bit "exotic" for me to feel comfortable.

Guest Eunomians

Ahhh yes, it seems that I am indeed dating an Ar3a! Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I will have to see if I can find another set of serials...

I will be posting pics of her soon. Lovely shape & I also have the original walnut cross stands underneath them.

I had never heard an AR3a until I got this pair in a partial trade. I got the AR3a as a replacement for my late 50s AR2s, and my goodness, there is a difference between the two. The Ar3a is 'deep' and 'open' whereas the AR2 is 'tight'. I believe that the AR2 is great speaker, but for my larger living room space, the AR3a is perfect.

After many speakers and amplifier combinations, I have finally (at least for now) fulfilled thee speaker part of the equation.

I think the next step for me is to either pick up a pair of AR4s or Dynaco A10s to function as supplemental small bookshelf speakers. I have never heard the AR4 nor any Dynaco speaker but I assume that they are both pretty darn good for their respectively diminuitive sizes.

CHEERS

Archived