ar3a crossover rebuild/upgrade

Guest p.dow

Guest p.dow

hello - i think i am ready to tackle updateing the crossover in my recently acquired ar3a's.

could some one tell me what the strapped in box is that is inside the speaker?

is the best advice to follow the crossover schmatic and typical component layout that is by layne audio?

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/ar/clas...-3a/AR3axo.jpeg

should i bypass the mid and tweeter pots ? if so what would the new schmatic look like ?

thanks in advance.

paul

dunedin,fl

post-101853-1145923927.jpg

>is the best advice to follow the crossover schmatic and

>typical component layout that is by layne audio?

True, Layne Audio does not seem to respond, but that knowledge does not answer your question. Personally, I would not use the Layne Audio schematic, as it reverses the phase of the tweeter from that of the factory polarity. I would retain the existing schematic, and the grille cloth--it adds to the looks of the speaker and has low high frequency loss.

The box is a dual 150-uf, 50-uf capacitor. Three leads, one is common; color code printed on capacitor.

For other details, please see comments in the recent thread "AR-3a Refurbishing."

Beware of applying coatings on woofer surrounds. Something like Armorall, which is very low viscosity, will not harm things, but materials like butyl rubber sealant, unless diluted greatly in hexane or other solvent, will dry as a very thick layer and greatly stiffen the woofer surround--this is not good for the speaker's bass performance. As others have stated, best to do nothing if the seal looks good.

Guest p.dow

thanks for the advice john.

i have some caps on order from parts express and i am cleaning the pots.

thanks carl at:

www.classicloudspeakersevices.com

in conn. for the initial information.

regards

paul

in florida.

Archived