Getting the most from 3a's at low volume levels

Guest postjob62

Guest postjob62

I think it's pretty well agreed that 3a's sound their best with significant clean power applied in appropriate doses to allow them to "open up" and "breathe". Having settled on a couple of different high-current power amps for my systems, that issue is pretty much put to bed in my mind. I've tried many different preamps with these, including no preamp at all, and they all sound great at moderately high to somewhat higher volume levels.

But in an effort to preserve both marital bliss and old tweeters, I continue to struggle with ways to get 3a's to sound satisfying at lower volumes (a scenario which is contrary to my nature, by the way).

I'm beginning to think perhaps that this may be a conumdrum without solution. I understand that lower efficiency speakers typically sound deader at low volume levels, and certainly the 3a qualifies. I have also read that the "flatter" and "more linear" a speaker is, the less likely it is to sound good at low volume levels. Does the 3a qualify in these areas?

Anyway, given Fletcher-Munson data, one solution seems to be preamps with a "loudness" or "contour" circuit. I've tried some and it helps a lot. But this feature has become pretty much non-existent on current preamps, as have tone controls in general.

As I mentioned, ther may be no realistic solution other than to enjoy other smaller classic AR's when low volume is necessary or desirable.

But I'm just wondering what others may have experienced, and what preamps/solutions you may have tried.

All opinions appreciated.

Ed

Since I live in a townhouses I have really never cranked up either my AR-3's or the AR-4x's I have in different rooms. But even at low volumes both speakers sound fine to me. With the AR-4x's in the home theater I have three (left, right, and center channel). To help out at the low end and for movie soundtracks I have a separate self powered sub woofer.

Archived