AR-2X Repair/Upgrade Questions

Guest Chartliner

Guest Chartliner

I have aquired a pair of AR-2X's and the 10" woofers need re-foaming.

I have read on the forum that this model originally used a square magnet with masking tape over it. Mine is that type and it says on the masking tape - Jan.3,1973.

I also read that the AR-2X was discontinued around 1972 which does not fit with the other information that the square magnet woofer was replace with the round magnet woofer since my version should have been about the last of the run.

Apparently the round magnet woofer has better mid-range production and that it why the square model was dropped.

Question: Is it worth re-foaming the square magnet model or should I replace with a better woofer and which one would be the best.

Also is it worth changing the tweeters and crossovers? Would a new ring tweeter like 'Vifa' http://www.fidelityacoustics.com/philosophy.html work well in this box or is the design of the AR too old for the state of the art part?

Russ

Guest Chartliner

Actually Dan, they are close to me too, in Vancouver. You can listen to the speakers down at the Hi-Fi Centre on Seymour St. I found them to be fantastic speakers..just need to part with $4000, but they compare with $10,000 speakers.

Archived