LST Serial Numbers

jnolan5784

This may have been covered elsewhere, but what are correlations between LST serial numbers versus year manufactured/variations in components. I have LST #2705 and #2708 and they have rear wired tweeters, no access point on the back, and a sticker above the fuse stating LST-1. Also, anyone know how many LST's were produced? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I can't answer the last question of yours about numbers of AR-LST's built however, mine are in the range of 576, 571 etc, etc. numbers. And with those low numbers so, I'm thinking they were part of the first-run or were within the first few months of production. Some one here once put out a number of 1500 but, didn't specify if that was pairs or individual units.      

I came upon my LST's in 1987, as I was about 37 years old, though I had already given up on the opportunity of ever owning LST's long before then but, I was shocked as they sat on a wooden pallet in front of me being unloaded off a truck. I do recall telling the guy on the truck they were very rare and expensive he just shrugged his shoulders. I waited for his boss to come back down to street level when I approached him about a sale price.

When I spoke to the gentleman he wanted to actually sell the five of them or trash them as he was unsure of their fate but, his price was too high for my pockets. As I recall he didn't know anything about them but, said that they looked like they might be worth something. Besides he wasn't knowledgeable of their history/fame or that they were first released in 1972 to 1976. He simply wanted to unload them and as he stated they were pulled out of a theater or a museum, he wasn't sure.

I waited about 5 or so months and when I saw the fella again, he made me a reasonable offer and I accepted.

I was life-long rewarded with five LST's of which one was badly bruised and battered from which I removed the nine drivers and X-over board and stored those drivers. The others all needed a refoam of course and many of the tweeter domes were pushed in. Most corners were good and there weren't any original grills included. In 2005 I purchased a full set of grills from Larry at "Vintage-AR" for the four I retained. However, I prefer to use them without the original grills and have precisely cut fiberglass black window screening that replace the grills and are fasten by catching to the original velcro cabinet fasteners. I use black screening because when I saw a pair at "Singer-Sound" in 1991 of Mark Levinson's LST's with a use price of $8,500.00 that had black screening also. I felt they looked very cool and add a more modern look to them. I guess at some point I'll install the white fabric grills?

It wasn't until 1989 that I installed them in my living room and with-in weeks my wife at the time proceeded to blow out the remaining tweeters with her dance exercise and loud volumes and some nasty quality cassettes while I wasn't there.

'TIP': one can blow those weak tweeters even if the 'FMN-2' fuse remains intact.

I hope as they say; 'There's nothing new under the sun'  and with the surprise re-release of the KLH 5 that there is hope some one with a pocket full of cash, is tech-savy and with a production facility that there's a glimmer of hope at some point LST's will be made again. Though, in all honesty when I captured mine back in 1987 I strongly felt my prize was getting these in my hands and that I was never, ever letting them go because I felt they were an object that comes along only once in a lifetime-sort of like that one female you lost long ago that became the one by which all after her were compared to and yet none others ever matched completely. Ah, such is life.

FM

P.S.   If by some bizarre out of this world occurrence the LST are once again manufactured, I don't doubt they'll be in the $10,000.+ range a pair easily. And I can SAY that simply because I avidly read both TAS and Stereophool and get an idea of prices there as the high end and exotic stuff has increased to insane levels. And as I've indicated before, I've seen the Mark Levinson versions with all AR drivers used for $8,500. back in 1991. I can imagine they'd be in the same cost range as other high-end speakers and that audience is to be determined. Would I buy a new pair? I'd say no as I have the originals and that in of itself means loads of pride of ownership, though it would sure be tempting.

I missed that post. I will be keeping my eyes open for the other 2874.

Given there're others out there in the wild in other's possession, along with a number that were probably trashed and thrown out and much like the 'Classic American Car' market that I'm somewhat aware of, they'll be lesser condition and lesser opportunities for discovery. As an owner of classic AR's since 1971 my street worthy AR-eagle-eyes have not in any way become diminished as I'm always looking at healthy trash piles as I drive by. That is a attribute I acquired living in Manhattan and Brooklyn where major numbers of the population dwell, giving a bigger chance for discovery.  However, in reality I've reached the AR summit and I'm quite happy and satisfied with the present collection. On the other hand, that won't prevent me from stopping and loading up the car if a sighting is made somewhere off in the distance. 

Here's a chance for someone to join the exclusive LST club. Starting price of $2,995. and I feel it may not go much higher but, these days almost anything is possible.

And just like your daily vitamin, don't forget to use the requisite high power.

Rare Vintage Acoustic Research AR - LST Speakers for Sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304752395407?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

@ DavidR, well then lil' Doggie, if the itch needs to be scratched........I'm still waiting for a local seller as since I've owned these unwieldy AR boxes, I've moved them 5 times. Twice up and down stairs, and from Manhattan to 3 residences other times. Mushed knuckles and elbows etc.  Each time it was a definitely a short work-out. I figured in one move, I lift out of one place to another that would be a total of 720 lbs. Then I've had them in an elevator 4 times and had to rest and load one at a time on my knees and then press the floor-button each time, -crazy stuff. And at those times my age ranged from 37 to 60 years old, I'm not excited about moving them these days. Retirement can be harmful due the lack of 'He-Man' activity which when younger I was 'Hero-Man' so.....  Wait, I've got two in mothballs so, that's 6 LST's. A oneway move would be back and forth a total of 1080 lbs. Hey, wanna help me? Earphone and small speaker folks have no idea.  Does Medicare cover moving six 'LST's?   

Before I got into the house I placed each one onto a dolly. The lifting off the dolly was a stretch and then to place the top LST on top of the bottom one already in place was another stretch. A whole lotta stretching going on......

Lately, I seldom ever challenge the FMN-2 fuses simply because of the hassle of changing them. In turn the volume levels are a bit lower these days for that reason, but not by much as I've learned their limits and how far I can push my amps and speakers.

It use to be; damn the torpedos, I mean voice-coils, and blasted away with almost reckless abandon (an exaggeration). Luckily, these LST's do soak-up a lot of wattage and I can tell when they're at their safe operating limits. Nonetheless, I'm still a firm believer in high-power as an essential component when using these watt gluttons. It's the only way to go.  I think I've made that point quite clear in my 19 year membership of being on this forum.

FM

Hi Frank. Hope you are well and enjoying your ARs. I'm determined to get a pair of true AR speakers (before Teledyne). I'm running out of room and moving right now is not on the agenda. I would love LSTs or AR3a or AR5. The LSTs might be a struggle with available space. Depends on how bad the itch gets.

Be well.

Hi DavidR, yes the LST's are particular regarding front-wall placement which is mandatory as are their power requirements. Each cabinet contains 9 drivers and that is a lot to be responsible for in terms of any possible needed replacements and costs. At 90lbs. each and with their odd-ball shape built-in for some, they're not a typical speaker. As I've stated in older posts when I installed them in my present living room I attempted to hear them placed 1/3 into the room out and away from the 'front' wall and they sounded awful, I was tremendously disappointed. The following evening, I proceeded to clear one narrow dimension of the rectangular room and placed them against the front wall. In terms of sound quality, it was night and day in sound quality compared to 1/3 in the room placement.

But, after all is said and done, with a well set-up and tuned system with quality cherry picked input sources and program material, there's nothing like these speakers.

David, I wish you good luck with your choices.

FM