AR 8" Models

Guest tgw

I was reviewing the brochure from AR dated Oct 1974. Among other models it listed three with an eight inch woofer (AR-4xa, AR-6, AR-7). I know that the model 4x used an improved 2.5 inch tweeter as opposed to the 3.5 inch tweeter in the original model 4. I believe the cross over was lowered to 1200hz. Approximately 500,000 units of this model were sold from 1965 through 1973.

I realize that models are replaced, but what baffles me is that the cross over in the AR-4xa is listed as 1600hz using a 1.5 inch tweeter, 1800hz for the AR-6 using a 1.25 inch tweeter, and 2000hz for the model 7 using a 1.25 inch tweeter. I would think that the mid range response that was improved by lowering the cross over in the AR-4x would go out the window with the specs we find for the 4xa,6, and 7.

Can anyone shed some light on the technical and/or marketing rationale for these 8" woofer speakers that followed what most everyone agrees was the best 8" speaker ever made (AR-4x)? Did they use different woofers in the model 6 and 7? The brochure states that the woofer in the 4xa is the same as that used in the 4.

>I would think that the mid range response that was improved by

>lowering the cross over in the AR-4x would go out the window

>with the specs we find for the 4xa,6, and 7.

>

>Can anyone shed some light on the technical and/or marketing

>rationale for these 8" woofer speakers that followed what

>most everyone agrees was the best 8" speaker ever made

>(AR-4x)?

Not exactly, but you have your facts straight :) The AR-4x was a great speaker for it's time (introduced 1965), I own a set myself, but the AR-6 (1970) was clearly an improved design. The AR-6 was costlier than the AR-4x, however it represented an improvement in polar response. The woofer was a special design that was capable of much better bass response than other 8" designs. Tom and others have discussed the AR-6 woofer/voice coil design at length in other posts. The AR-6 tweeter had better hi frequency response and dispersion than the AR-4x unit. I think it must have required a higher crossover than the AR-4x tweeter because, as you correctly point out, AR loved to lower crossovers whenever possible to improve dispersion.

The AR-4xa and AR-7 were created shortly thereafter. To make a long story short, speaker designing is full of tradeoffs and I suspect this is the reasoning behind the higher crossover points.

As for the Marketing side of things, did it make sense to have three 8" designs on the market at once and priced closely together, ? probably not. As Steve F has outlined in great detail in other posts, AR was having marketing difficulties around this time.

Thanks for your interesting comments, Brad. I will search for more information on the AR-6, which must be somewhat rare, since I do not remember seeing any showing up on eBay.

Right again, the AR-6 is fairly rare indeed. The AR-5 and AR-6 were excellent speakers but they were marketed at price points where consumers did not settle. In the case of the AR-6($81.00), I think consumers in the early 70's either felt they were happy with the AR-4x for $63.00, or they should upgrade to the AR-2ax($128.00)

Archived